Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Kings Lynn At Edgar Street On Saturday 21 September at 3.00pm

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

I'm Proud Of The Progress Said Ammonds

 

Hereford chairman Chris Ammonds came into the post nearly 18 months ago and it's probably fair to say that the club has only gone one way since his appointment.

"I wouldn't say I took over but I came in and I've tried to do my very best," said Ammonds in an interview with BBC Hereford and Worcester recorded before kick-off last Saturday.

"I'm really proud of the progress that's been made both on and off the field.

"There are a huge number of people we can all thank for that from the paid staff to the volunteers, to Paul, the management staff, the players.

"We've just got ourselves into a much better place.

"It was well known that we got ourselves into a bit of a grave situation towards the end of the season before last.

"I think where we are now we've stabilised, we're looking forward with optimism.

"You look at the squad we've put together compared with what we had this time last year, one of his biggest decisions last year was whether I made it onto the bench or not for Kings Lynn away, that's how desperate it was this time last year.

"Look at it now and there's real quality, real options, even today with the likes of Cowley (injury) and Rose missing because of the international clearance situation.

"Actually the 16 we've named is really really strong, it's a much better place.

"And off the field one of the first things I said was that I want everybody to be smiling again, because that's why we do this, we follow our club for enjoyment, we do it out of choice, we do it as a hobby.

"I do think over the vast majority of last season I think people were coming back to Edgar Street with a spring in their step rather than doing it as a chore or because they felt a duty to do it."

Given we are now twelve months into the Paul Caddis project, how has it felt this summer? 

"I think it's been interesting. Paul sets such high standards here, I think he's already got himself a really good reputation within the game, with the players as well.

"I'm sure there are players who have signed for us this summer who probably could have earned more money elsewhere, I know they could have earned more money elsewhere.

"They've obviously spoken to players who were here last year and have heard good things about training sessions, the way the players have been looked after, the standards that Paul sets.

"I think the squad that we've got together is probably a squad that in reality is worth more in terms of a budget than what we've got.

"And that's the biggest compliment you can pay really, people want to play for him.

"We've got lads who stayed on who had other options, probably better financial options, but they wanted to be part of it.

"They want to be part of what Paul is doing but they also want to be part of a club that has 2,500 people coming every week and watching the game.

"We've got five or six new lads and today will be their first experience of an Edgar Street home game on a full match day.

"It's really hartening to have got to where we've got to, we've got to kick on, we can't rest on our laurels.

"Every day, every week is a challenge because of the level we are operating at and because of some of the disadvantages we have.

"We're in a much better place than we were last year."