Sunday, June 25, 2023

Barnett looking to cut teeth as coach after leaving Edgar Street

Tyrone Barnett is currently trying to get a coaching licence
Tyrone Barnett will be looking to cut his teeth as a coach after signing for step three newboys Leamington.

After his release from Hereford, the 37-year-old striker was snapped up by the Warwickshire side with a view to also be involved in their academy.

The club said he would be working alongside Chris Knott at the academy

"I am currently completing my UEFA B coaching licence, so working with Chris (Knott) is vital in that sense," Barnett told the club's website.

On his return to the Southern League after 13 years, he said: "I’m very much looking forward to it. I’ve not played alongside any of the Leamington lads before, but have come across many of them in my career.

I can’t wait to get started."

Tyrone is said to be looking forward to being able to pass on the benefit of his experience to his new team mates, particularly Callum Stewart and Henry Landers, saying: "Hopefully with my experience I can help the younger players score goals and become better players all round, but ultimately I will be trying to score as many as I can myself to get wins for Leamington."

Manager Paul Holleran said: "He’ll be a good asset to us off the pitch as well in his other role at the club."

Barnett, a million-pound striker who has previously been at clubs including Peterborough, Shrewsbury and Cheltenham, was brought to Edgar Street last summer by Josh Gowling.

He was released by new Bulls boss Paul Caddis after making 45 appearances and becoming the club’s highest scorer with nine goals.