Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Kings Lynn At Edgar Street On Saturday 21 September at 3.00pm

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

They (Almost) Played For Both

With Oxford United due at Edgar Street on Saturday, Bulls fan Rob Powell tells us about the time he tried to persuade former U's midfielder Kevin Brock to join the Bulls:

I taught Kevin as a pupil in Oxfordshire and with him as Captain of the U19 school side that I coached we reached the last 8 of the national schools competition. I kept in touch with Kevin and he followed Jim Smith, his manager at Oxford both to QPR and then to Newcastle United.

He eventually fell out with Kevin Keegan and was without a club. I called John Layton who was then Manager at Hereford United. John and I played together for the Lads Club in Hereford and despite the fact that John and I hadn't met for 25 years or so he remembered me. I asked John if he wanted to sign Kevin Brock and he jumped at the chance. I gave John Kevin's number and waited for the moment when my home club and passion signed a player I had the privilege to work with as a teacher. It never happened. Kevin had a bad back and was unable to sign through the injury.

To see Kevin, who was the best passer and crosser of a ball in the Old First Division at that time, in a black and white Bulls shirt would have been wonderful.

One of Brock's teammates also - almost - turned out for the Bulls in his advanced years. John Trewick played alongside Brock for three seasons in the mid-80's and was an occasional bench filler for the Bulls during his time as coach.