ad banner

Lastmatch

Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game:Home Against Hednesford On Saturday October 10th At 3.00pm

Top stories

TOP STORIES:
Loading headlines...

Breaking

Sunday, October 04, 2026

Troubles At Matlock

Lewis Duckmanton has resigned from his post as manager of Matlock. Yesterday they were defeated at home by Bridlington Town.

The Matlock chairman, David Hilton, has posted the following:

On the back of Lewis, our manager, my friend, and one of the genuinely good people in this industry, receiving torrid abuse both during and after the game, including threats, I can confirm that I received the following letter of resignation yesterday evening

 “After a great deal of thought, I have decided to step aside from my position at the club.
This job has never been about money. It has always been about the club, you, and everyone involved, and about giving everything I could to the team and the community. With that in mind, I feel it is right to step aside and let someone else come in.
I remain proud of my 14 months here. There have been some fantastic moments, and I am grateful to you and everyone who played their part.
I also have to be honest. After stepping up on a temporary basis, the results were initially positive, and you offered me the role on the back of those results and my EFL experience. The results over the past week have been disappointing, and so have the performances. As manager, I have to take responsibility for that, and I genuinely feel that moving on is the right decision for both me and the club.
Thank you for the opportunity. It has been a privilege. You have been more than the owner and my boss; you have been a friend, and your support has been unwavering. I only wish people outside the club could see not only your financial commitment but the time you give as well. I am sorry this comes at an already difficult time.
Please pass on my thanks to every player, employee and volunteer. I cannot speak to everyone directly, but I am grateful to all of them.
I leave with no regrets and nothing but respect for you and Matlock Town. I hope the next chapter brings better results and success.
Thank you, Chairman. I am sure we will still speak regularly.”

 Lewis is extremely well liked by everyone who works with him at the club. After a long discussion with him last night, and an offer of further support, it was clear that the abuse he has taken is something he was not prepared for and is not prepared to endure. On that basis, I had no alternative but to reluctantly accept his resignation.
This leaves a sour taste. The very small minority responsible are known to the club for behaving in this way towards players, staff and management on many previous occasions.
I respect people’s right to hold opinions and to air them on the terraces. They have no right to be abusive or threatening towards staff or anyone in the football family. Players also received direct abuse and threats of violence. After the match, players’ food was stolen, and stewards who tried to stop those responsible were insulted. This has been a common trend for some time, even before I came to the club.
I will therefore set out the action I am taking.
I was not in attendance, but I am fully aware of those involved in yesterday’s incident and of the wider group. They will all now receive letters confirming immediate and total bans from the football club. I will also notify opposing clubs before we travel, in the hope that they will refuse entry to our problematic few.
Non-league football in this country is unique. It has always been family-orientated, and that is precisely why we all love it. I will not allow a few so-called supporters, already on local pub watch lists and banned from town establishments, to ruin a family day out for innocent people who come to watch a game of football.
Finally, I am deeply saddened by the treatment a good man and his players received yesterday. It has left me questioning my own future at the club. This is not something people need to be concerned about in the short term. The club runs with no debt, and while the cost of running it is considerable, I remain fully committed and supportive until a suitable custodian is found. But I can confirm that I am actively seeking offers for the club and anyone interested in purchasing the club should contact us via the website or at accounts@matlocktownfc.co.uk. The alternative is a transition in the summer, once contracts and commitments have ended, when the club could be handed back to supporters to operate sustainably themselves, if they so wish.
In the meantime, nothing changes. My commitment, until it is no longer required because of a change of ownership is there, and I will continue to try during the time I have left to get us promoted, with the backing of everybody at the club. 

Two former Hereford players are at Matlock, Levi Andou and Ryan McLean who is currently out on loan.