Friday, July 05, 2024

Telford Boss Sad To See Gibson Leave For Hereford

AFC Telford manager Kevin Wilkin has told the Shropshire Star that he is sorry that striker Montel Gibson is joining Hereford.

Gibson was Telford's top scorer last season.

“It doesn’t surprise me that a club at the level above us wanted to take Montel and add him to their ranks,” said Wilkins.

“Ideally we would have liked to have kept him, but equally we understand his desire to play at a higher level and try and progress himself.

“I’m sure there was a financial element to the decision as well as the opportunity to play at a higher level. 

"We never ended up speaking to Montel about the financial side of things, and Hereford are a big club who can afford to pay their players more than we can.

“If there’s more money at a higher level, nine out of 10 people are going to take it and we understand and respect that.

“You never really know with Montel to be honest with you. On his day he’s very difficult to play against, and there were glimpses of that throughout his time with us where he looked unplayable,

“Finding that bit of consistency with him wasn’t something I was able to do as much as I would have liked, and I don’t think Montel managed to as often as he would have liked either.

“He leaves with my thanks for his contribution during my time at the club.”