Thursday, June 27, 2024

Clarke - In The Wrong Place At The Wrong Time

Former Hereford United defender Matt Clarke has been telling BBC Hereford and Worcester about the circumstances which led to him being arrested on drug charges last February.

The 50 year old, who was manager of Redditch at the time, was arrested after he had accepted a lift from a friend who then picked up a passenger in Hereford. The car was being watched by police.

"Within a few minutes, police surrounded the car and the next thing I knew I was in custody," said Clarke.

"I was just completely in shock, I've never been arrested for anything in my life."

Clarke said there was no evidence against him and his solicitor suggested he had been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It had cost him £15K in legal costs to clear his name. He hopes he can recover some of his costs.

"It's pushed me to the edge with having to deal with everything and the financial pressures."

After being told that the case was being dropped Clarke said he hoped to get back into football.

"My ambition is to first of all secure my job, my family, and make sure everybody around me is okay."