Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Frome Put Families And Lives Before Football

Frome Town have taken the difficult decision not to travel to Maidstone for their FA Trophy tie which was set to take place this evening.

'Following the decision by the FA and DCMS the club has sought further advice and will not travel to tonight’s scheduled match vs Maidstone United.

As a club our first thoughts have to be with the players, staff and officials of both teams who will be forced to play a match in Tier 4 against wider Government regulations. As a ‘non-elite’ team, we do not accept the decision of both bodies given all the news coverage and medical expert advice provided.
We will not put families and lives at stake. It’s clear that no football match outside of the top level is COVID safe. We will not demand that our players travel in separate cars across the country to a tier 4 area. We have no clear clarification on the insurance procedures and coverage either. We’ve also been truly shocked by some of the wider fan comments who have a very reckless view on COVID and its effects. But more disappointed at the collective decision that has been made.
We are not withdrawing from the competition, and believe the FA can still make a sensible decision to postpone until it is safe to play. We will await further communication from the FA.'
Last night the club received the following information suggesting that they could travel into a Tire Four area for the tie.
'We are now able to confirm following a response from the Football Association that they and DCMS (Department for Culture, Media & Sport) are advising us to travel into Tier 4 for tomorrow's game. Whilst highlighting this is the ruling for Elite Sports teams.
"[We are] now able to confirm that DCMS are content that all Buildbase FA Trophy Third Round Proper fixtures will continue to be played, as scheduled, under the attached FA Trophy Protocol, which is in line with the latest DCMS guidance for elite sport." - FA Representative
The club are deeply saddened by again the length of time and the result they have come to together. We are currently considering our position at this time and will inform Maidstone United and the FA of any decisions at the earliest point.'