Next:Season 2020/21 - Starting Date To Be Confirmed - Possibly October 3rd

Play our Sports Club Lottery

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Seventeen Years Ago Today - Bulls Win At Southport

Seventeen years ago today Hereford United travelled to Southport.

A look back to Monday April 21st 2003:

Cool Correia puts Southport in danger
Southport 1 - 2 Hereford United
A late Albano Correia strike put Southport in grave danger of relegation after Hereford United collected the points with a 2-1 victory at Haig Avenue.

Missing Paul Parry, Andy Tretton and Matt Clarke, Graham Turner's men earned their first away victory for over two months thanks to substitute Correia, whose surging run on the right channel allowed him to beat off the challenge of a defender, cut inside and strike from an acute angle. The ball hit the crossbar, bounced down onto the far post and then into the back of the net.

Hereford, though, had Matt Baker to thank for their victory too, after keeping them in the match on several occasions. His point-blank save from Steve Soley on twenty-one minutes ensured the scores remained level, and three minutes later a dipping from Lee Ashcroft in the right channel was pushed over the crossbar by a back-tracking Baker.

Karl Hawley, though, should have opened the scoring in the second minute, but his shot was pushed away by Sandgrounders stopper Steve Dickinson, and Steve Guinan's effort in added time at the end of the half went narrowly wide of the target as the game looked to have 'draw' written all over it.

Just eight minutes after the restart, though, the deadlock was broken. Ben Smith's ball from the halfway line found John Grant in the right channel, and he played Danny Williams in, who ran onto the ball and fired home from twelve yards to put Hereford ahead. On the hour, though, Southport substitute Dean Howell released Steve Pickford who slid a low ball past Baker to level proceedings.

As the game went on, both sides looked for the winner and only an excellent punch by Baker with twelve minutes to go kept another Pickford effort at bay, while Howell missed the target by inches with five minutes remaining. The Bulls lost skipper Ian Wright with a head injury, and Rob Purdie replaced him, but it was Albano Correia, on as a substitute for Karl Hawley, who ensured Hereford travelled home with a win.

The crowd of 1,103, including about 150 from Hereford, almost saw Lee Ashcroft equalise in added time, but his effort from twelve yards out was well saved by star man Baker.
Written by Terry Goodwin - 21st April 2003.
Southport Hereford United
Steve Dickinson Matt Baker
Chris Lane Richard Teesdale
Martin Clark Michael Rose
Barry Jones (captain) Tony James
Neil Moore Ian Wright (captain, off, 84 minutes)
Andy Scott Ben Smith
Liam McGuire Jamie Pitman
Steve Pickford Steve Guinan
Steve Soley John Grant
Lee Ashcroft Karl Hawley (off, 73 minutes)
Steve Jones (off, half time) Danny Williams
Subs Subs
Dean Howell (on, half time) Rob Sawyers
Ian Nolan Ken Griffiths
Tom Lamb Rob Purdie (on, 84 minutes)
Paul Wheatcroft Albano Correia (on, 73 minutes)
Kieran Charnock Richard O'Kelly
Yellow cards Yellow cards
Laim McGuire (foul, 83 minutes) Steve Guinan (foul, 45 minutes)
Lee Ashcroft (unsporting behaviour, 88 minutes) Karl Hawley (dissent, 56 minutes)
Ian Wright (unsporting behaviour, 79 minutes)
Red cards Red cards
- -
Scorers Scorers
Steve Pickford (59 minutes) Danny Williams (53 minutes)
Albano Correia (87 minutes)
Man of the Match Matt Baker
Attendance 1103
Referee Mr. M. Atkinson (Leeds)

After match reaction:

Hereford United midfielder Danny Williams was pleased with his goal in the 2-1 win at Southport today.

"It was about time we got back to winning ways," he told BBC Hereford & Worcester. 

"It was a good performance today. We are good players, but we've got to go out and prove that in every game and it worked for us today.

"It's been a while since I last scored and it was a well worked goal. Albano's winner could've gone anywhere, but it was a stunning goal!"

Looking ahead to the Doncaster match on Saturday, Williams said: "We want to get a good home result and give the fans something to cheer. To beat Doncaster will be a good scalp."

Southport boss Mike Walsh, who was battling against injuries and crucially required the points for their relegation battle, praised Albano Correia's winner. "I could not fault my players for their effort and application, but nobody could have stopped Hereford's winning goal," he said. "It was either one of the best of the season or a big fluke.

"I'm devastated, as are the players, but the supporters were magnificent. All credit to Hereford, you would have thought they were going for a play-off spot in the way they played."

United captain Ian Wright, who came off with a head injury towards the end of today's game, is expected to be fit for Saturday's clash against Doncaster Rovers.