Thursday, January 09, 2020

Reece Styche - a plea for unity


Reece Styche has been speaking to Bulls News this week about, among other things, the importance of togetherness in getting through tough times and how parent clubs are compensated when their players are away on international duty. In an honest and heartfelt appraisal of the season to date, the Bulls striker started by commenting on his own performances so far…


BN: “Reece, both you and Rowan Liburd came to the club with excellent goalscoring records elsewhere. The fans saw your signing in the summer as an exciting one, one that would be significant in seeing us reach the play-offs at least at the end of the season. Why do you think the goals have dried up at Hereford so far?”

RS: “I don't think it boils down to just one reason, but the fact we have the likes of me, Rowan, TOE and Nicho who have all scored a lot of goals in this league and myself personally in leagues above indicates that something isn't clicking. Personally I think as a whole we don't create enough chances in a game so when they do come there's even more of a reliance on us to take them and an added pressure. Individually, we have some very good attacking players, but for some reason this season we just haven’t been as creative. As a striker therefore it’s that much harder to score. You’re in a catch 22 then as you start to go looking for the ball, dropping into deeper midfield areas because you become frustrated and in turn are not further forward where you should be when the ball does eventually get into the box. You then start playing a game which isn't natural. I signed for this club because I thought that we would be in the play offs comfortably. Unfortunately for all concerned that isn't the case despite the best efforts of the players and staff. 

I'd strongly argue that proven players with goalscoring pedigrees that are here and have been here don't just stop being goalscorers. It is an instinct within you. When I don't score I take it personally but I then reflect, watch the game back and assess a few things. Did I get myself into the box, were chances created, if I had a chance should I have done better? I will be honest and say I genuinely thought the likes of myself and Rowan would comfortably score 15-20 each this season. For one reason or another that hasn't happened. And I will hold my hands up and say there are games where I haven't been good enough - I am my own biggest critic - but it isn't because I don't care; unfortunately every player has bad games.”


BN: “The burden of blame you’ve had to endure personally has been unjust, I think.”


RS: “I agree totally and I find it frustrating that I have been made the scapegoat since around October. I think it is the same no matter what club you are at that there are always one or two players who fans pinpoint and take out their personal frustration on. Unfortunately at the moment that's me. Do I agree with it? No. Does it help me play better? Probably not, but I just have to deal with it as best I can and keep trying to do what I know I can do, and that is score. One thing I will say is, and especially in the York game, when the fans are behind you it has a massive effect mentally, but the minute fans start booing and singing unpleasant songs it only has a negative effect, not only on individuals but also on the team as a whole. As players, all we ask is that regardless of what you think of us as people just get behind us throughout the game and don’t boo us. I do feel that, individually, I’ve been made the scapegoat in the majority of games when things haven’t gone our way but I just have to get on with it.”


Reece then talked about the relationship between the club and the Gibraltar FA.


RS: “This is an interesting point which I want to clear up because I have seen that I’m some type of mercenary. Both myself and Hereford benefit by me being in the Gibraltar National Team, which I am massively proud and fortunate to be involved with. Each time I’m away on international duty Hereford FC is generously compensated by around €4.5-5k per game. I’ve been involved in seven internationals whilst with the club. So when I hear I’m only here for the money I would defend myself by saying Hereford get just as much benefit as I do being here from a financial point of view, and in no way am I 'milking' the club. How can I be a mercenary when in real terms I contribute, by being fortunate enough to be eligible to play for Gibraltar, towards my own wages? One thing I wouldn’t do is deliberately stay at a club and just take my money. All parties knew the situation when I signed and that I wouldn't be eligible for a short period, and as frustrating as that may be it is something I'm incredibly proud of being able to be involved with."


If you want to find out more about this compensation scheme, you can go to https://www.ecaeurope.com/about-eca/main-achievements/club-benefits/

BN: “Is there a message you’d like to send out to fans reading this?”


RS: “Yes, I would say as a player I know that this club has a massive history (forgetting the fact they had to reform) and fans, understandably, want to continue the progress that has been made over the last few years. However we are in a league that is ultra-competitive, with at least 4/5 teams who are full time and at least half a dozen that have bigger budgets, as hard as that may be to believe, and in my opinion it demands more respect. We aren’t just going to waltz away with the league like this club has done in the past few years. The step up from the lower leagues is vast. Patience is needed, and above all, more than anything else, togetherness. If you look back at the teams that have been promoted from this league over the last two or three seasons they have all been backed massively financially to the tune of, in some cases, millions: Fylde, Salford, Harrogate, Stockport and Solihull Moors to name a few, and now the likes of York and Spennymoor.

"I understand that fans are frustrated by the fact we aren't at the minute as competitive as we should be, and they have every reason to feel that way - we as players do too!

“I'd like to finish off by saying that I understand the fans frustration all round, whether that be with me personally, players in general, the management or the board etc, but the only thing we can try to do is all pull together and try and have a strong finish to the season. Silence from within can be a negative thing because then the fans presume you don’t care, when in fact the opposite is true.”

BN: “Thanks for your time Reece, and all the best for the rest of the season, sincerely.”