Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Saturday, March 09, 2019

Smith on Darlington Win


Lance Smith came on as a substitute this afternoon and scored one of Hereford's four goals in their win over Darlington. It's been nearly six months since he last played for the Bulls.

"That's a long time coming," he said.

"Since September I took myself away from the club and tried to get myself fit.

"I felt like today I could score so happy, happy.

"I could have been back before Christmas, I went training and went over on it.

"I thought that could have been me done for the season but I've worked hard, done a lot of swimming, been at the gym.

"Took myself away and I've come back but I've got to treat it right now. I don't want to start to run before I can walk. Happy to be back.

"It was my left ankle. I tore it and it had a past injury and that was when I was at university and I couldn't have the right treatment then. So it was reoccuring so I had to be careful.

"Hopefully, touch wood, I now know how to manage it so hopefully going forward I should be fine."

Smith was asked how much he had enjoyed being back out there.

“You heard the reception and it was quality to be back out there. The first run I was out of breath. It was great and that goal just topped it off today.

"First half we gave them two easy goals. But it just shows what character as a group of lads we've got, second half four goals. We just kept bombarding them and they just crumbled.

"Once we got that first goal we got a bit of confidence. I don't know why it takes one goal to get us going like that. We should be at it from the start.

"Hopefully take this on to Tuesday, get a good result. It will be tough Tuesday but we'll keep our heads high.

"We can't worry about anyone around us we've just got to keep doing it.

“We’ve got to look up and push to the play-off places, we’re too big to even go down, it’s Hereford.”