Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Kings Lynn At Edgar Street On Saturday 21 September at 3.00pm

Friday, July 16, 2010

Player Items From Fans Forum

Several questions about players were asked at last evening's Hereford United fans forum. Below are some of the top table responses.

Firstly who is going to captain Hereford United this coming season?

"I haven't decided on the captaincy," said manager Simon Davey.

"I can understand people's reservations about a goalkeeper being a captain because he is not in the thick of things. Sometimes you need somebody with a little bit more influence on the game. But I'll look at it over the next three or four weeks.

"I gave it to Barts the other night just because I haven't made a decision. Kovacs came out with it second half. I think we had eleven captains on the night.

"A captain is a major influence in a football club. He's the person who marshalls the dressing room when the manager and the coaching staff are not there. He's the one the players should look up to. He needs to be the model professional. He needs to be the one that makes sure the players go and see the kids in the schools.

"Last season Barts was that person but he is only in the eighteen yard box or is there somebody else within the group who can take that mantle.

"It is an important decision and if it goes against Barts it will not be disrespectful to him because it will be a footballing decision."

Secondly Michael Townsend and Sam Malson were signed yesterday.

"Townsend is a player who has played over 150 games at League One level," said Davey.

"When I look at the group of players I've got we need competition in every area and Michael is a player who has come into the group.

"I was made aware of his availability towards the end of last season. He had a contract offer with Crewe but when I knew I only had seven players it was an ideal situation to bring him into the football club. I think with Rose back it makes us quite strong in that department. I've got three players there fighting for two shirts.

"When I signed Michael he said to me that he had not come here to be third centre-back. I want to be number one centre-back and that's the type of player I want at this football club. Somebody who wants to win, somebody who is ambitious and is also still young with lots of experience.

"Sam Malsom is a player who was a prolific goal scorer for Plymouth reserves when they were in the Championship. Was released when he was 19 and has been doing the northern route. He's been out to the Faroe Islands, Sweden and Iceland.

"We've had him in all pre-season and he's very very hungry

"He's a young player - I'm not going to hang my hat on him and say he's going to be our number one striker because I've got three strikers already - but I feel he's a player with immense potential.

"He has all the right attributes to be a good player at this level. He's quick, he's powerful. Another winner and he's an unbelievable finisher. He could add a lot of firepower to our squad this year."

Finally there was a question about Sam Gwynne.

"I'm been really impressed by Sam Gwynne," said Davey.

"Sam came in out of contract and wanted to come in and fight for a place in my squad.

"I spoke to him yesterday and offered him a contract and I'm waiting to hear his response.

"He's shown the hunger and desire I expect in my players and he's absolutely terrific since he's been in training with the players. His fitness levels are the highest in the group.

"I'll be pleased if he signs for the club."