ad banner

Text at top (next game etc)

Next game: Pre-season friendly at Hereford Pegasus on Saturday 11th July at 3pm

Season tickets on sale now

Top stories

TOP STORIES:
Loading headlines...

Breaking

Monday, May 18, 2026

Ben Bowen's latest pitch overhaul update as significant milestone hit

Work being carried out on the pitch. Picture: Ben Bowen

The major summer renovation of the Edgar Street pitch has reached another significant milestone, with the new surface now seeded and fertilised following weeks of drainage and reconstruction work.

Groundsman Ben Bowen confirmed the latest stage of the project had been completed after an intensive fortnight of work carried out by contractors KMM Hire.

The overhaul comes after a difficult season for the playing surface at Edgar Street Stadium, which suffered repeated waterlogging issues during the winter and led to postponements as well as three home fixtures being moved to Worcestershire.

Earlier this week, Hereford's general manager Jamie Griffiths told BBC Hereford and Worcester that the old drainage system had contained several serious underlying issues, including blocked and collapsed drains and pipework installed at incorrect levels.

Bowen also hinted at the scale of the problems uncovered beneath the surface, saying it was “interesting what they found with the old drainage” and adding: “No wonder we had major problems.”

Following the completion of the drainage installation, attention turned to rebuilding the pitch itself over the past week.

The existing surface was fully stripped off before work including power harrowing, verti-draining and top dressing was carried out. Large quantities of sand were then added before the seed bed was prepared for seeding and fertilising.

Bowen repeatedly praised contractors Jon Morgan and Geth from KMM Hire for what he described as “a monster of a shift” and “some sort of hours/graft” during the project.

By day 15, Bowen confirmed the pitch had been levelled, seeded and fertilised, with sprinkler upgrades still due to continue over the coming days.

Reflecting on the completion of the main works, Bowen described the overhaul as a “major major job” and admitted: “I feel de stressed now.”

He also told supporters "our old girl is back in my hands” as responsibility for the pitch returned to the club following the completion of the contractor phase.

The next stage of the process will now focus on growing in the new surface ahead of pre-season, with the club hopeful the upgraded drainage system will help avoid the problems that disrupted large parts of the previous campaign.