Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Hereford Make Hard Work Of Defeating Bromyard

It was back to the Cup last night for Hereford FC. Not the FA Cup however, they are out of that, but the HFA County Challenge Cup and a tie against Bromyard Town.

This is the competition that back in September 2018 turned out to be Peter Beadle's last game in charge at Edgar Street. It was the night Westfields defeated the Bulls 3-1.

No such drama last night as Hereford won the tie 3-0, although there was a hint of offside about one of the goals. And Bromyard, to their credit, kept going for the whole 90 minutes and were unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

But it wasn't a convincing win given Bromyard are several levels below the Bulls. Once again plenty of possession but too much build up play.

Hereford manager Josh Gowling's starting XI was a combination of players needing minutes and players from the Under 18's. In particular it was good to see Luke Haines back.

Starting XI: Liburd-Hines, Hancox, Haines, Forsyth, Derricott, Smith, Price, Speake, Morris, Charles, Sodeinde

Hereford playing towards the Blackfriars End were soon a goal to the good. 

A long range shot from Mitch Hancox was not quite gathered by Bromyard keeper Alex Rhodes and Victor Sodeinde was on hand to send the ball into the back of the net.

Hereford were well on top at this early stage but like in so many games this season shots on target were sadly lacking. Sodeinde headed towards goal but it fell short of the target. 

Sodeinde was brought down by Ollie Gough but the free kick came to nothing.

Later in the half Dan Smith beat the keeper but his shot was inches wide. 


After a dry start to the game the rain became quite heavy. Sodeinde could not take advantage of a loose ball after Smith had crossed into the area.

Minutes later Hereford's George Forsyth and Bromyard's Joe Heywood started having a go at each other and had the referee noticed both might have been carded.

Harley Morris shot from long range.

And Smith had a header cleared off the line.

Just before half-time Bromyard should have equalised but Jason Weling's effort went well over the crossbar.

Half Time: Hereford 1 Bromyard 0 

The rain eased for the second half and Hereford soon doubled their lead as Smith was on hand to head the ball past Rhodes.

On 52 minutes Hereford were unlucky not to be three ahead as Heywood cleared off the line after good work by Sodeinde. 

Gowling brought on Yan Klukowski and Aaron Nesbeth for Haines and Morris. And minutes later Issac Groves for Mark Derricott.

But it wasn't until the 82nd minute that Hereford scored their third. A shot towards goal from Sodeinde was half gathered and fell to younsgter Groves who poked the ball home.

It might have been four when Aaron Nesbeth was one on one with Rhodes. But the Hereford physio couldn't get round the Bromyard keeper.

Full time: Hereford 3 Bromyard 0 

After last Saturday's exit from the FA Cup mamager Gowling called for goals, last night three were scored but, in truth, there should have been more. 

Credit has to be given to Bromyard who gave it everything. In particular some good defending from Heywood and Gough.

BN Man of the Match: Victor Sodeinde.

When properly fit he could be a very decent addition to the squad.