Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Pollock Excited About Going To Wembley

 

Hereford FC midfielder Ben Pollock is set to achieve something his father Jamie never managed, that is playing at Wembley.

Ben should be in the Hereford squad that will play Hornchurch in the FA Trophy final on May 22nd.

The 23 year old dreamed of one day playing in the Premiership like his father but. as yet, that day seems far off.

As a youngster Ben had set-backs. At just 14, whilst with Middlesborough, he needed surgery on a knee problem. Two years later he was released. Luckily Newcastle United signed him and he went on to captain their under 18's. But at the end of his second season he was released.

Hartlepool manager Craig Hignett gave him a trial and soon Ben signed his first senior contract. However later that season the club started to have money problems and Ben was looking for another club.

As it happened father Jamie was manager at Billingham Synthonia who played in the Northern League and so Ben joined for a season. 

Then a phone call from Paul Wilkinson and a trial at Truro. On the last day it was confirmed that Wilkinson was moving to Bury. He asked Ben to trial at his new club but before contracts were signed it emerged that Bury were in financial meltdown.

However Wilkinson knew Russell Slade who had just been appointed manager at Hereford.

"So I went down, I did the first session and Russell rang me straight after and asked me to sign," said Ben.

"That's how Hereford came about. I played the majority of last season, unfortunately Russell Slade got sacked but Josh Gowling took over. He was a player before he got put in as the temporary manager then got appointed permanently. He pulled me on his first day and said he wants me to play a certain role in his midfield.

"He gave me a lot of trust and to be honest it was exactly what I wanted. He played me as like a sitting midfielder and allowed me to do the things I'm strong at. He didn't expect too much at what I'm not too strong at. He offered me a contract for this season and that's where I'm at now.

"I'd be lying if I said there was ever a point when I was more excited, not just about Wembley but about my future."

Read more at: https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ben-pollock-story-setbacks-support-20376117