Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Barwick Spells Out Reasons For Quitting

As reported earlier today on BN, National League Chairman Brian Barwick is to step down as chairman of the Board at the end of this season.

He has given an interview to The Times.

"I’m very comfortable about my decision. It’s a time of life thing. I’ve done this for six years and I’ve had a great time doing it. I wanted to give something back to the sport.

"But the last 12 months have been the most difficult in my career. I’ve been trying my very best, as has everyone else, to get through this crisis. It blew us out of the water. There will be some who think we’ve done a good job and some who don’t.

"I decided over Christmas that it was time for me to step down. I’m 67 in June and I’ve been around sport and sports broadcasting since 1979. I formally told the board at our February meeting. They were surprised and very supportive, and they’d love me to stick around. But I just thought, you know what, it is the right time.

"I was determined out of a sense of duty to see this season through. I will stay until the end of the season. I think that’s the right thing to do. It’s morally right that they can prepare for the future. But if I’m honest it’s been tough. I am a part-time, non-executive chair who for the last 12 months has worked for 365 days."