Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Friday, June 26, 2020

Gowling Awaits Confirmation Of Budget


Hereford FC manager Josh Gowling was back at Edgar Street this afternoon and kindly gave an interview to BN.

Supporters are waiting to hear which players are being offered new deals and which are being released but Gowling won't reveal names just yet partly because his budget is not quite agreed.

"I've spoken to the players who are not going to be here next season," said Gowling.

"I think that was my main priority from the point of view that they need to go and find another club and they've got to go and find other income for their families. 

"So I thought that was really important to get that done, so we did that early. And then I spoke to the players I want to keep.

"The reason we've not released lists is that we are waiting for the budget. The thing is we might want to keep a certain amount of players but if the budget doesn't meet that then some are going to go. So we didn't think it was fair to release that because it wouldn't be fair on the players if we put a retained list then those players didn't stay, it might look like those players didn't want to stay whereas actually it was the budget."

Have you had any indication of a budget yet?

"I've spoken to the chairman and the board. We're getting there, I think we're getting there. You will see things start happening soon.

"I know we need to start retaining the lads who are important to the squad.

"For me at the moment, forget about transfers coming in from elsewhere, for me the priority is getting the lads we want to keep signed up that are here. That's what we are looking to do over the next couple of weeks."

Is there a potential problem in that you will have to offer less money because the budget is reduced?

"I think it's pretty well known that the budget is going to be reduced. The players we bring in will be a reflection of the budget and I've made the players aware that the budget is going to be reduced so I would say 95% of the players are going to take a pay cut. That's the climate we are in."

Gowling and his assistant Steve Burr are not being paid at present.

"You look at the situation, you look at what's going on in the world as a whole, you look at football and it's suffering.

"Because businesses have not been going and they don't know the climate themselves, they've not been able to invest in the football club so I'm aware of that. Steve and I spoke about it and we said the best thing for us while we don't have football is not to take a salary. 

"We're still working behind the scenes. I've not stopped working from the last game of the season, Spennymoor."

Would you like to sign a contract?

"It would be nice, I'll need some money at some point!

"I'm fully committed to this football club and they've given me assurances that I'm the manager of the football club and that's the main thing for me."