Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Home Against Farsley Celtic On Saturday March 23rd Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Richards Frustrated With Goalless Draw At Ashton


Hereford Head Coach Marc Richards said he was frustrated his side could only draw with Ashton United this afternoon.

He felt the Bulls had the better of the chances and had done enough to win the game.

"I think based on the chances we had, frustrated," said Richards.

"I think we probably did enough to win the game but it was just one of those - it just seemed to be resolute defending from them.

"I don't know how many chances we had but we had some great opportunities first half and second half so a little bit frustrated at the moment that we didn't get all three points but going away from home and keeping a clean sheet is pleasing.

"We've obviously lost James Waite with a three match suspension in the Leamington game, he's shown that little bit of class in the last two, but I can't knock their workrate and endeavour, that was suberb again today.

"But it's just frustrating we didn't manage to get that elusive goal."

There were many of chances early in the game.

"On top of that you had that double save, I don't know whether it was the lad on the line, outfield player or the goalkeeper, but how they kept it out I'm not really too sure. I think Josh Gowling had the volley after the initial header from the corner.

"I thought we looked a lot more threatening from set pieces today which was really pleasing.

"It was quite a difficult pitch in terms of that there was a cross wind going across it and it was quite slow in terms that you saw that in terms of scrappy play at times.

"I thought on the whole the lads dealt with it quite well.

"I didn't think we started the best, first five or six minutes we didn't really come out, but then after that I thought we dominated the first half, just frustrated not to go in 1-0 up."

Richards was happy with the clean sheet. Keeper Yates didn't have many shots to deal with.

"Always will be with a clean sheet. That was pleasing as they have nothing to lose.

"There were a couple of counter-attacks late on in the second half, you just hoped the boys see it out and they did."

Was it a must win game for Hereford?

"You come away from home and the first thing is that you don't want to lose but every game we go into to we are going to try and win it so I wasn't necessarily viewing it like that that it was a must win game or a must not lose game for us today but another game where I'm just hoping that those performances levels are where they need to be. And I thought on the whole they were, it was just that final little bit today.

"I just spoke to the boys afterwards and said that final pass, that final decision in and around the final third, that's what we lacked today.

"But overall a pleasing performance."

Injuries?

"You saw Weso (James Wesolowski) here today as well so he's not far away which is great, been working really hard in the background.

"But we're still without Lance Smith and Keyon Reffell.

"We actually tried to sign Jahquil Hill who played on Tuesday night (HFA game) but we've had a nightmare with international clearance, we've been chasing it for three weeks now.

"All we wanted to do is make sure we had some cover there in terms of having Marco on the bench, I know him previously and I know he's probably known to Hereford as he had some pre-season games. We managed to get Marco in today just as cover if we needed it."

Yates isn't bing recalled?

"No, not at all, it's just getting a bit of cover in to make sure we didn't leave ourselves short.

"I haven't always been running with a goalkeeper on the bench but it's nice to have that option especially away from home."

Hereford are without a game next Saturday.

"Training, training preparation, we have got a free weekend, I'll be going and watching something, I'm not sure what that will be yet but that will be my plan.

"We'll get the lads in for at least four or five sessions over the two weeks."

Richards was asked if he might watch the rugby next Saturday.

"No I hadn't thought about that to be fair, that's not a bad shout actually. I was watching Hartpury on the TV last night."

BBC H&W's Keith Hall offered to go with Richards somewhere.

"You can come with me, it will be a date or what?"

Hall suggested looking at Matty Stenson, the Solihull striker.

"We probably only looked at 100, can you just get me a bank loan.

"I like Stenson, he's not bad. He's also top of the National League"

So not rugby for Richards.

"I'll be watching some football, whether that will be a striker or just a game that's yet to be determined."