Next Game: Guiseley at Edgar Street On Saturday March 23rd at 3.00pm.
Play our Sports Club Lottery

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

We've Been There Before - Southport

Continuing BN's series of games against teams now in the National North, today it's Southport.
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Bulls hang on for three points

Ex-Landlord watched last night's game from the press-box. Below is his report:

Hereford United secured another away victory in a hard fought game at Haig Avenue, Southport on a soft pitch which cut up quite badly as the match progressed.

Manager Graham Turner had to, again, shuffle his pack to bring in Tony James for the injured Dean Beckwith with Alex Jeannin also returning from suspension in place of Rob Purdie. The extent of Turners depleted squad was emphasized by the fact that coach, John Trewick, was named amongst the substitutes. Southport kicked off facing the visiting Bulls fans but it was United who were quickly onto the attack with Jeannin robbing Morley on the halfway line before advancing down the wing and delivering a trademark center which Williams glanced over.

The Bulls were in domination early on with a Green throw-in allowing Fleetwood to win a corner which was cleared up-field for Ports first meaningful attack on six minutes. It was, however, United that took the lead with just over nine minutes gone. The ball was played forward to Andy Williams who controlled it on his chest before feeding Fleetwood whose shot was cleared at the expense of a corner. Nicky Nicolau's cross was met by the downward header of Mkandawire for a classic finish. to give United a deserved 1-0 advantage.

Southport were forced into making an early substitution on 14 minutes when Carl Baker fell awkwardly and had to be replaced by Robbie Booth. Shortly afterwards Ferrell, who was clearly in the mood for some action, burst into the Port penalty area only to see his effort palmed away by the increasingly busy Steve Dickinson. The ball ran to Williams who turned it back across the goalmouth where King miss-directed his shot for a goal kick. Port did get the ball into the net on 20 minutes through Steve Daly but referee Richardson had already blown for offside. Three minutes later, the Bulls had Wayne Brown to thank for a fine one handed save from Daly while falling backwards. Then a crisp four man move initiated by Craig Stanley which swept the length of the field finished with Ferrell, again in the box, seeing his shot deflected wide. On 42 minutes however Ferrell was rewarded for his graft. James played a ball out of defense to Stanley who made good ground down the right side before clipping an inch perfect ball into the box for the charging Andy Ferrell to power a header past Dickinson for United's second goal of the night. In first half stoppage time, ex Bull Chris Lane sent in a useful cross which Neil Robinson headed just wide.

HT - Southport 0 Hereford United 2

Southport Manager Liam Watson introduced both his remaining substitutes at the recommencement replacing Gary Brabin with Jerome Fitzgerald and Dominic Morley with Kevin Leadbetter.

The lively Stuart Fleetwood was soon in the thick of things again as he wriggled past three defenders before seeing the ball run away over the goal line. From the resulting goal kick, the ball spun off the foot of a Port defender to hit Andy Williams full in the face. The young striker had to leave the field for several minutes while the flow of blood from his nose was stemmed. On 51 minutes, Chris Lane, who was having an increasing influence, saw his effort rise just over Brown's crossbar. As play swung from end to end, Fleetwood again outpaced the Port defense only for the onrushing Dickinson to smother his effort. From the goalkeepers clearance came an attack down the flank which produced a deep cross into the Hereford penalty area and Mkandawire was adjudged to -have handed the ball as he attempted to head clear. Robinson stepped up to take the resulting penalty and blasted the ball passed Wayne Brown to put Southport back in the game on 59 minutes. Robinson also collected an entry in the referee's notebook for his over enthusiastic celebration.

Shortly afterwards, Andy Williams reluctantly left the field with a continuing nose bleed to be replaced by Danny Carey-Bertram. DCB was soon in action as Jeannin threaded a ball through for him chase into the box but his shot was blocked by Earl Davies. Port began to take control as Williams' ball winning and holding skills were missed. On 70 minutes, Daly and the Hereford 'keeper collided just inside the box and as Brown got to his feet he allegedly trod on the Port striker. There followed a "ruck" involving 8 or 10 players during which a punch was clearly thrown at Brown. As it calmed down, Leadbetter appeared to receive a yellow card. If this was for the punched, then he should consider himself extremely fortunate not to have left the field. Ferrell complained and was added to the list of cautions. When asked, after the match, Ferrell confirmed he had been booked by the referee who had apparently said, "well, I had to book someone"!

As the game became more fraught, Graham Turner took the sensible decision to replace Nicolau with "old hand" Jamie Pitman with 13 minutes left on the clock and he was soon in the action stepping in with some timely interceptions. Southport continued to pressure the United rearguard but it was Craig Stanley who almost produced a goal on 85 minutes when his deft chip from 25 yards landed on the roof of the net. The Bulls saw out the last few minutes with some fairly "rustic" defending - Ryan Green launching one particular clearance into row Z!

It was not the best of games and afterwards coach John Trewick described the performance as "sub-standard" and hinted that there had been signs in training that an "after the Lord Mayors Show" affect might have been on the cards following the Accrington game. He was, of course, more than happy to return to Hereford with three points on the front seat of the team bus.

Southport - Dickinson, Lane, Powell. Brabin (Fitzgerald 45), Davis, Baker (Booth 14)Morley (Leadbetter 45), Blakeman, Pickford, Robinson, Daly.
Subs not used - Speare, Fitzhenry

Hereford - Brown, Green, Mkandawire, James, Jeannin, King, Stanley, Ferrell, Nicolau (Pitman 88), Williams (Carey-Bertram 60), Fleetwood.
Subs not used - Mawson, Gwynne, Trewick (Aged 48?)

Attendance 1057 (est. 120 HUFC)

HUFC Man of the Match - Andy "Mad Dog" Ferrell