Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Sunday, January 08, 2017

Hereford fight back to beat Paulton

Despite going a goal behind at Paulton Rovers, Hereford FC kept up their rich vein on form with a 3-1 victory. Son of manager Tony, Jordan Ricketts notched a soft opener before Mike Symons tapped in following a glorious 18 pass move by the Bulls. Soon after, Clayton Fortune looped a header into the far post before Tristan Plummer wrapped up proceedings mid-way through the second-half, finishing off a neat slide pass by John Mills.

Hereford were still without Pablo Haysham who served the last of his four match suspension. Jamie Molyneux was included among the subs once again, whilst Ryan Green missed out with illness.

The hosts got off to a flying start playing up the hill towards the bulk of the Hereford support. Ricketts picked up the ball 30 yards from goal and evaded first a challenge by Jamie Edge, and then bustled his way past Fortune, before a weak looking shot squirmed under the body of Alex Harris to give Paulton an unlikely lead.

Symons went close to equalising after good work by Mills but his strike was well stopped by home 'keeper Keiran Hodges. Hereford didn't have to wait long to get back into the game however; a fine passing move which stretched the back-line, up the left-wing and back across to the right, eventually found Jimmy Oates. The Australian's pass inside the left-back found Plummer, who played a fine ball across the box where Symons was to tap in to make it 1-1.

Four minutes later, Hereford had turned the game around. A corner from the left by Mike McGrath was met at the front-post by Fortune who looped a header towards the far corner and despite the best efforts of the 'keeper and the defender on the line, the ball fell into the top corner. Josh Ford forced Harris to tip the ball over the bar with a header from a Mawford free-kick. Half-chances followed towards the end of the half but first Mills, and then Plummer, failed to trouble Hodges.

Paulton pressed in the second-period but Harris was largely untroubled. Despite playing up the hill, Hereford got more of a foothold on the game and sub Molyneux forced Hodges into a good save after turning his man on the left-wing. Solomon Wheatley, the ex Bull, probed for the home team from his right-back position, but despite a couple of good forward runs, the final ball or shot evaded Wheatley. 

With the clock running down, Plummer made the game safe with 18 minutes to go. Symons touch set Mills away in a dangerous position and he drew the defender in to feed Plummer on the right-hand side of the box, and with the 'keeper coming out to close the angle, Plummer slid the ball into the far corner to make the game safe. Hereford saw out the remainder of the game with relative ease despite the hosts having a couple of long-range efforts.

Another three points on the board for Hereford and they go 15 points clear of second placed Tiverton Town. It wasn't the cleanest performance, on a challenging pitch, but it was good to see the resilience in the team having gone a goal down. It was difficult to pick out a man of the match, but Oates had another energetic performance, and the Weston/Bristol City fan that accompanied this Bulls News reporter to the game picked him out as one to watch, as well as being very impressed with Symons. Next up for Hereford is a tough looking away trip to Mangotsfield on Tuesday.

Hereford: Harris, Oates, Preece, Fortune, Edwards, Plummer (Sinclair), Edge, McGrath, Purdie (Molyneux), Symons, Mills.

Subs not used: Horsell, Barnes, Cuss.