Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Evesham Away on Tuesday 17th July at 7.45pm

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Hereford crash out of the Trophy

Hereford FC lost in their first ever FA Trophy match and now have just the Southern League Division One South and West and Herefordshire Challenge Cup to concentrate on. In a topsy turvy game at the Ray Mac, Salisbury ran out 4-3 winners, following goals from Tommy Wright, Eddie Perrett (2) and Justin Bennett saw the hosts progress. Mike Symons and a double from John Mills weren't enough for Peter Beadle's men.

Martin Horsell returned in between the sticks replacing Alex Harris, whilst Jimmy Oates was on the bench but didn't feature. Pablo Haysham made a welcome return to the starting eleven replacing the in form Tristan Plummer who has a virus, with Jake Sinclair starting on the right-wing.

Salisbury made the perfect start after just three minutes; Wright heading in from a corner after diverting an initial header past Horsell.

The hosts continued to probe and Bennett forced Horsell to push one behind after Jamie Willets let the striker in. The Whites were lacklustre in the final third, with the only threatening moments coming from Haysham, who looked lively. On the half hour mark however, the game took a different path as Hereford equalised.

Mills and Haysham interlinked, with the latter's ball breaking to Symons who fired home from close-range to make it 1-1. 

John Mills To Pablo Haysham

Haysham To Mike Symons

Symons Gathers

And Shoots

In the 36th minute, Hereford took the lead and it was the ever reliable Mills who grabbed it, having been felled in the box; he stepped up to put the penalty in the bottom left corner giving the 'keeper no chance to give Hereford a half-time lead.

Yet Salisbury started the second-half much like the first-half, and soon found themselves level just four minutes after the interval. A through ball saw Perrett evade the run of his marker and he nicked past Horsell, before slotting home from three yards. Moments before Sinclair had put an effort over the bar having been set up by another good piece of play from Haysham.

Jamie Edge fired a shot over after a corner, whilst Mills should have done better following good work from Symons, the leading scorer's deflected effort ended up in the home keeper's arms. Salisbury took the lead in the 69th minute; Wright swept the ball out to Bennett, who got the better of Edwards before firing home a tight angle.

Mills had a good opportunity to equalise, controlling a long ball forward by Horsell, before volleying just over.

Salisbury though made the game all but safe with five minutes go through a second from Perrett. Again he broke into the box and this time lifted the ball over Horsell with his left-foot despite being put under pressure from a challenging defender. 

In added time, Hereford were awarded another spot-kick which Mills, who was brought down in the area, once again finished but it was too little too late for Hereford, who crash out of the FA Trophy at the first-time of asking.

It has been a sorely disappointing week for Hereford, who bow out of the both the FA Cup and FA Trophy. It leaves just the league to concentrate on, but unlike last year, there will be no backlog of games. It'll make it easier to keep players fit but doesn't give fans the beauty of a cup run and the interest that surrounds it. Salisbury were deserved winners on the day, as Hereford conceded four goals for the second week running. Next up for Hereford is the visit of Paulton Rovers on Tuesday at Edgar Street, as Peter Beadle's men will look to return to winning ways.

Hereford: Horsell, Purdie, Green, Willets, Edwards, Sinclair, Edge, McGrath, Haysham, Symons, Mills.

Subs: Harris, Oates, Parry, Staley, Huntbach.

Salisbury: Bass, Brockway, Perrett, Roberts, Walker, Parselle, Benson, O'Keefe, Wright, Bennett, Mundy.

Subs: Mehew, Wheeler, Colson, Leigh, Martin.

Attendance: 1,225.