Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - Melksham Town Away on Saturday 7th July

Monday, August 29, 2016

Bulls Breeze Past Bishops Cleeve

This report was written for BN by Brian.

Pablo Haysham Scored Hereford's Fourth Goal With An Excellent Strike
The skies remained blue on this Bank Holiday Monday, however it was raining goals at Edgar Street as Hereford set up camp in the oppositions half for the afternoon. Bishops Cleeve from Gloucestershire were the visitors as Hereford sought to make it 6 out of 6 in the league this season, continuing their 100% record.

Manager Peter Beadle made just one change from the victory at Barnstable; Jimmy Oates missed out with a dead leg and Aaron Birch came in to the starting eleven. Rob Purdie filled in at right back and Birch returned in his familiar central midfield role - both putting in impressive displays.

It was one-way bank holiday traffic as Hereford attacked the Meadow End in the first half and probably should have taken an early lead. Within 2 minutes, top marksman John Mills had the upright shaking as he crashed Pablo Haysham's low free from the right against the bar. Tristan Plummer was a constant threat in the first half on the right and he centered for Mike Symons soon after, the target man unable to make a good enough connection to trouble the goal.

Mills again went close at the near post, as he flicked a low corner wide before Bishops Cleeve almost took a shock lead on 10 minutes. A cross was floated into the box from the right, The Mitre's number 9 met the cross with a header that hit the cross bar before bouncing to safety.

The game settled a little thereafter, though Hereford saw the vast majority of possession with Cleeve struggling to keep hold of the ball. Plummer had a shot saved before Mills was again in action in front of goal. Symons did well to win a corner, which was only half cleared before being lifted back in to the box. The 'keeper punched, it fell to Mills who dropped a shoulder before firing powerfully into the side netting. The 'keeper was called upon again after 33 minutes, Mills again the threat, when he made a good save to deny Mills' curling effort.

Hereford pressed and Ryan Green took it upon himself to lead a charge as Hereford looked to make a breakthrough before half time. Mills returned the ball to Green before it receiving it back and his low effort to the 'keepers right was well turned away. Cleeve couldn't keep Hereford out forever though and finally Symons put The Bulls in front on 44 minutes. A corner was cleared as far as Jamie Edge, who played a one-two with Birch before lofting a cross towards the back post, where Symons was on hand to crash a header low into the back of the net. Half time, 1-0 to Hereford.

The Cross From Jamie Edge
Skimmed Over John Mills To Mike Symons
Who Headed It Into The Net
It was a similar story after half time, as Hereford continued to dominate with attack after attack. It was no surprise when 7 minutes after the interval the ball was in the back of the net, this time Mills converting. Haysham attacked down the left, his cross eventually making its way to Purdie on the right. Purdie advanced into the box before picking Mills out, the striker making no mistake with low finish back across the goalkeeper for 2-0.

John Mills Strikes For Goal

Mills gave Bishop Cleeve no restbite as he made it 3-0 just two minutes later. Plummer struck a powerful effort from 25 yards which proved too hot to handle for the 'keeper; Mills was on hand to tap the rebound home.

Tristam Plummer's Shot Rebounded To John Mills

Who Slotted Past Wieczorek

Haysham was next to try his luck, his effort as he cut in from the left was turned behind for a corner before Haysham went one better on 62 minutes.

Haysham collected the ball just inside his own half, evading a tackle as he did so before setting off on a pacy run through the middle. The Bishop Cleeve defence backed off and Haysham punished them with a low effort driven in to the left hand bottom corner from 20 yards out after a great run - a quality goal from the young attacker.

Pablo Haysham Started His Run From The Hereford Half
And Then Shot From Twenty Yards Out

Hereford made their first change of the game with Chris Parry replacing Jamie Willets at the back after sustaining a head injury though the substitute did not change the flow of the game. Haysham had another good effort cutting in from the left, this time his effort flying wide of the far post from 20 yards, before Purdie almost crashed in a 25 yard volley which flew just over the bar. Beadle made his final two changes with around 15 minutes remaining, first Symons being replaced by Jamie Cuss whilst Rory Huntbach replaced Haysham.

Substitute Chris Parry
Cuss should have got on the score sheet within minutes of coming on following good work down the left by Purdie. Mills left it to Cuss inside the 6 yard box but a recovering defender managed to deny him when it looked easier to score. The only booking of the game was issued to substitute Parry, the defender recklessly sliding in on half way when Hereford had given the ball away. In front of goal, the other two subs, Cuss and Huntbach combined with the latter driving a shot from a tight angle over the bar before a rare glimpse of goal at the other end saw a shot curled harmlessly wide of Martin Horsell's goal. 

There was time for one more change at either end, Green sending a long ball from the back to the right for Cuss, who took it down brilliantly before picking out Mills on the edge of the box. Mills' first effort crashed back off the crossbar before the ball found its way to Mills again, this time his powerful effort looked destined for the top corner, only to be clawed out of the air by a flying goalkeeper, who somehow managed to hold the ball as well. It was actually a fairly impressive display by The Mitre's 'keeper despite conceding 4! His opposite number in the Hereford goal had little to do, but immediately at the other end was left stranded as a substitute striker lifted the ball over the on-rushing Horsell, fortunately for Hereford however, it cleared the bar as well.

It finished 4-0 at Edgar Street against lowly Bishop Cleeve and this will certainly not be the toughest opposition Hereford will face this season. 

Cleeve Keeper Mark Wieczoreck
The away side have their goalkeeper to thank for keeping the score down, along with the Hereford attack being a little wasteful at times. Plummer impressed in the first half before fading, Mills was his usual threat in front of goal whilst Birch put in a good midfield performance, pressing forwards whenever possible. Man of the match, however, goes to veteran Rob Purdie who took yet another new position for the season at right back and turned in another excellent performance.