Next Game: Forest Green Rovers at Home on Wednesday 25th July at 7.45pm

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Road to Wembley: Wembley Dream Still Alive

In today's second 'Road to Wembley' article, here's a reminder of the 'new' A49 derby where Hereford saw off WMRL outfit Haughmond:

The visitors were gifted the first chance of the game after Aaron Birch missed his footing, meaning Carlos Rogers was able to set up Steve Hole, but Jamie Willets was on hand to put the ball out for a corner, before Harvey Rivers was able to punch the ball away to safety.

After John Mills cut into the box and combined well with Rob Purdie, the Hereford utility man had time to compose himself in front of goal, before coolly slotting the ball past Haughmond’s goalkeeper Sam Jones with his right foot to open the scoring.

Rob Purdie taps the ball home in front of the Blackfriars terrace
And celebrates with John Mills

On the half hour mark, Hereford were able to double their advantage with some impressive play between Pablo Haysham and John Mills. As Mills made a powerful run into the box, he played a nice one-two with Haysham, and after taking a deflection off Tom Hewitt, Mills’ shot beat Sam Jones for his 29th goal of the season.

John Mills looks towards goal
And his shot beats the keeper

HT: Hereford 2 - Haughmond 0

With 3 minutes gone of the half, Joel Edwards’ cross was met by Pablo Haysham’s powerful header from 6-yards, although the keeper managed to get his hands to the ball, it was not enough to keep the ball out.

Pablo Haysham scored with his header from 6-yards
Despite Hereford dominating the start of the second period, Haughmond were able to pull a goal back. After a long punt downfield by Sam Jones, an attempted back-header to Harvey Rivers was intercepted by Dave Howeth, who rounded Rivers. Despite Jimmy Oates managing to get back on the goal line, he was unable to stop Howeth’s strike much to the delight of the sizeable traveling support.

As Joe Tumetlty replaced Pablo Haysham in the 69th minute, he made an instant impact on the game when he was involved in the build up to Hereford’s 4th goal. With the ball being neatly played in from the left, Symons saw his rising shot hit the crossbar. Having time to control the rebound, he turned and shot passed Sam Jones.

Mike Symons' initial shot hit the woodwork
But scores from the rebound before celebrating in front of the Meadow End

FT: Hereford 4 – Haughmond 1
Att: 2,170 with around 200 making the trip down the A49
Sponsors’ MotM: Rob Purdie

Read the full report here (link).