Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Hereford 1 - Morpeth Town 4

Hereford manager Peter Beadle named a strong-looking side ahead of the FA Vase final at Wembley earlier this afternoon, albeit one with a handful of changes since the last outing in the MFL Cup Final 12 days ago; the six changes to the starting XI were goalkeeper Martin Horsell, captain Joel Edwards, Rob Purdie, Ryan Green, Pablo Haysham and Sirdic Grant.

Hereford got their first ever Wembley appearance off to the best possible start, scoring with just over a minute on the clock. A superb ball through to Rob Purdie allowed him to break forward, beating the offside trap. Purdie remained in control as he raced towards goal, unleashing an unstoppable shot from outside the area, leaving keeper Karl Dryden with little chance as 20,000 Bulls fans erupted in celebration.

Rob Purdie Strikes For Goal

The half remained one-way traffic with a trio of shots for the Bulls. Firstly, a neat through ball to Sirdic Grant from Mike Symons left Grant with just the keeper to beat, but a challenge from keeper Droyden prevented the Hartpury youngster from grabbing a goal at the National Stadium. 2 efforts on goal from Mike Symons and an athletic overhead kick from Pablo Haysham couldn’t find their way into the back of the net, but Hereford remained firmly in control of the game.

A perfect opportunity to double the Whites’ lead fell to Pablo Haysham, but he couldn’t get a shot away from Mike Symons’ cross as Morpeth worked quickly to clear the danger.

In the 24th minute Sirdic Grant was inches away from getting his name on the scoresheet. After showing some great footwork as he weaved his way into the penalty area, his powerful strike grazed the crossbar.

On one of their rare attacks, Morpeth’s Sean Taylor’s shot from an acute angle on the right of the box was deflected into the side netting for a corner. But the resulting effort was headed harmlessly wide of Martin Horsell’s goal.

Sirdic Grant Brought Down In The Box But Referee Not Interested

With 34 minutes on the clock, Morpeth pulled themselves back level. As Chris Swailes broke away from midfield, his cross come shot was put behind by Ryan Green. The rising Hereford keeper couldn’t claim the ball from the resulting corner, as 45-year old Swailes was on hand at the back post to bundle the ball across the line, despite the best efforts of the backtracking Joel Edwards and Jimmy Oates.

Martin Horsell Fails To Collect

And 45 Year Old Chris Swailles Is On Hand To Turn It In
 60 seconds from half time, Pablo Haysham beat 3 men on his electric run forward, but the Spaniard’s subsequent effort curled just wide of the upright.

HT: Hereford 1 – Morpeth Town 1

Like Hereford in the first half, Morpeth scored almost straight after kick off. With just 43 seconds gone of the second half, it was Luke Carr who put Morpeth firmly into the driving seat, slotting the ball home after Hereford were slow to react defensively.

A Second Goal For Morpeth

As the half wore on, it lacked chances for both sides, but it was the Peth who grabbed the next goal. Despite replacing Joe Tumelty with Mustapha Bundu, the fresh legs for the Bulls did little to prevent the 4th goal of the afternoon. A long punt forward was brought down and played into the path of Sean Taylor, but the shot rendered Martin Horsell helpless, as the ball was fired hard and low into the bottom corner.

Horsell Is Beaten By Sean Taylor
As Peter Beadle gambled with a change of formation, he replaced centre-back Jamie Willets with 50+ goal striker John Mills, meaning Hereford would go 3 at the back, with Purdie dropping back when needed.

Mills made an instant impact on the game, as he came close to pulling a goal back, but couldn’t get enough on Symons’ cross to turn it in from close-range.
Sub John Mills Failed To Turn This Chance Into A Goal
Moments later Pablo Haysham fired his free-kick over the crossbar from 28-yards after being brought down by James Novack.

Martin Horsell then proved his worth with 76 minutes on the clock, firstly substitute Steven Anderson’s weak shot was easily claimed by the Bulls’ stopper, before making a diving save to deny Sean Taylor scoring his second.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes with Hereford trailing 3-1, Jimmy Oates made progress down the right wing before cutting in and firing a shot towards goal, but his effort was blocked by Highwayman Keith Graydon.

Substitute Mustapha Bundu then flashed a shot across the face of goal after twisting and turning on the edge of the box to get a shot away.

Morpeth continued to dominate the game, limiting Hereford to only a handful of shots. The Highwaymen once again ensured the FA Vase was property of the North by sealing their win with a fourth goal in the 2nd minute of stoppage time. Shaun Bell’s strike looked to take a deflection off Hereford skipper Joel Edwards before finding the back of the net.

FT: Hereford 1 – Morpeth Town 4

It wasn’t to be Hereford’s day, with the best team lifting the trophy. But getting to 3 finals, winning 2 of them, as well as securing promotion in their inaugural season, there’s no question that what has been a achieved by Hereford in the last 16 months has been amazing.

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Edwards, Purdie, Green, Birch, Haysham, Symons, Willets (Mills – 70’), Tumelty (Bundu – 55’), Grant.
Subs not used: Summers, Bonella, Staley.

Morpeth: Dryden, Foster, Novak, Sayer, Swailes, Hall, Taylor (Mullen – 79’), Graydon, Carr (Bell – 88’, Chilton (Anderson – 69’), Fry.
Subs not used: Pearson, Harrison.