Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ben Smith At Crawley


An extract from former Hereford United midfielder Ben Smith's new book, Journeyman – One Man’s Odyssey Through The Lower Leagues of English Football,  has appeared in the 'Argus'

Smith left Edgar Street in summer 2009 to join Crawley and their delightful manager Steve Evans.

After an opening day defeat at Mansfield Evans took it out on his new signing.

"He came striding straight over to me in the dressing room at the break, his sweaty face bright red and contorted with rage.

“He got within two inches of me and went ballistic. I was trying to work out, in between the shower of saliva and gesturing, what he was saying in his broad Glaswegian accent.
“I sat there saying nothing and trying to ignore as much of it as possible. I have no problem with criticism but it has to be constructive.

“In hindsight, I think it was the gaffer’s way of laying a marker down for new players. It was a tactic I subsequently saw him do many times – he’d wait for a small mistake by a new recruit and then jump on it to show them they wouldn’t be treated differently to anyone else.”

A few months later after a 4-1 defeat at Gateshead, Evans went for Smith.

"We lost 4-1 at Gateshead and Steve marched into the dressing room and started going mental at anyone and everyone who caught his eye.

“He then went straight for me: ‘What are you smirking at? Come into my office and sign your release forms. You will never play in my team again’.

“As I entered the room, Evo was still fuming and re-iterated what he had been screaming in the dressing room, telling me I would definitely never play for him again and had to sign my release forms.

“I asked what pay-off I would be getting and he replied I wouldn’t get one. ‘In that case,’ I said, ‘I will not be signing anything."

Smith stayed at Crawley for three seasons.