Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Eleven Years of Guy Ipoua

An interesting article about former Hereford United striker Guy Ipoua has appeared on the Scunthorpe website. It was written by Simon Bourne. Below is an somewhat shortened version.

In 1999 Scunthorpe manager, Brian Laws was in the market for some additional firepower. Darryn Stamp, John Gayle and Gareth Sheldon had led the line well that year but Laws, with a minimal budget, felt the need to add to his attack. Some shrewd work found the Cameroonian journeyman, Guy Ipoua.

The marksman said: "I was a centre forward who liked to get the ball into feet, turn, and run with the ball going past defenders. I used to like to create my own goals opportunities."

Guy held an impressive CV boasting clubs such as Torino, Atletico Madrid and Sevilla. He made his first move to England when he joined Terry Venables for a trial at Crystal Palace. Problems with international clearance and agents meant a move never materialised, however, he soon found his way to the Memorial Stadium and Bristol Rovers.

"I did struggle for a little while with the language as all the other countries that I had played in spoke Latin languages," added Ipoua.

"I soon adapted with the help of my team mates but not before the customary pranks and humiliation!"

Ipoua spent a year under Ian Holloway at Rovers but a large part of it was spent on the physio table. At the end of his contract, Guy left Avon and began to search for his next club.

"I had a trial at Scunthorpe with the season about three weeks old. Brian Laws obviously saw potential in me as he named me on the bench after training only twice with the squad."

It was this that game in which Guy made the dream start to his Iron career, coming on as a half-time substitute against Bournemouth. The game was poised at one apiece when 16 minutes after coming on Ipoua grabbed a debut goal and sent Scunny on their way to a 3-1 victory.

Guy settled into the club quickly, as Brian Laws explains: "Guy Ipoua was a player we knew little about; in fact it was one of my scouts who recommended we should take a look at him.

"We brought him in on a non-contract basis and threw him in. He was awesome! He was strong in the air and powerful on the floor.

"From what we saw we had to tie him down to a full contract and luckily we did. He could speak four languages so settling in wasn't a problem. He is a great lad who always had a smile on his face and he was a real joy to work with."

Despite the impressive start to his first season, collectively the team failed to hang on to their Division Two status and were soon relegated back to the fourth tier.

"As strange as it may seem I have no recollection of us being relegated. I left for France before the season had finished to have an operation on my troubled ankle," explained the 34-year-old.

The arrivals of Steve Torpey and creative midfield player Bjarni Larusson arguably drew career best form from Guy.

Torpey explained: "When I played with Guy, he was very strong, had quick feet and a good turn of pace. On his day he could score goals out of nothing."

The week of November 18 saw him grab headlines nationally as he scored seven goals in one week - a hat-trick against Hartlepool and then four in a 6- 0 demolition of Mansfield.

Guy said: "Life was great then because I was full of confidence and you can't beat a striker when he is that sure he will score goals."

All together Ipoua hit the net an impressive 23 times in 50 starts for Scunthorpe and it was this unmissable form that attracted the interest of Division One side Gillingham.

"Peter Taylor was the manager of Gillingham when I first heard they wanted me," explained the striker who moved for a fee of £25,000

"Unfortunately not long after I signed Peter Taylor left for Leicester City, I found my feet and enjoyed my football under Andy Hessenthaler," he continued.

The latter years of Guy's career it would be fair to say were a bit stopstart. The Cameroon ace moved on to Scotland with Livingston but an injuryhit campaign never saw Ipoua settle. Loan moves and trials south of the border soon followed while there were also opportunities overseas.

"I went to the MLS for a short stay at Dallas FC," continued Ipoua. "I wasn't there for very long after they offered me a contract; I just didn't feel the time was right for me then."

There was however more success ahead with Hereford United. Guy scored a few vital goals including two crucial play-off strikes on their way to promotion. Following on from Hereford there was a brief spell with Forest Green Rovers before leaving and ending his playing career.

These days you will find Guy running his own business. His project is aimed at reducing the water usage for various organisations, thus making them more sustainable. In addition to this Guy maintains an involvement in the game.

"I still help out to try and find players clubs in the Football League," he explained. "I'm not an agent; I would describe myself more as a scout. Having played in so many different countries and speaking different languages, I have developed a good European network of contacts which obviously helps me to identify up and coming players.

"In 10 years time I would still like to still be involved in the game in some capacity. I hopefully will have sold my business by then and could even be a chairman somewhere."