Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Hooper hopes to play for Spurs

Gary Hooper, the striker who did so much to help Hereford United obtain promotion to League One, has spoken of his hope that one day he may play for Tottenham Hotspur.

But first there is the Johnstone Trophy play-off final on Sunday at Wembley when Scunthorpe play Luton. Hooper will know that the coverage of this game by Sky will give him the chance to show what talent he has to a wide audience, no doubt including a few scouts.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” Hooper told the Guardian. “It’s the biggest game of my career so far, but hopefully there will be more to come in the future. It would be great to get on the scoresheet and lift the trophy.”

Hooper started life with Spurs.

“I’d like to play for a side in the Championship and maybe even higher. It would be great to play for Spurs, they’re my team and I’d love to go back,” he said.

“I was there until I was 14 but it was definitely for the better that I moved.

“I would probably have just ended up in the reserves.”

His father will be at Wembley on Sunday.

“He’ll definitely be at the top one day,” said Hooper senior. “We’re all very proud of him and we’re going to be there on Sunday.

“I’ll be having a little flutter on him scoring a hat-trick.”

The paper suggests he is now worth around £1.5M. He has already scored 29 goals this season.