Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, September 27, 2007

National Exposure For Turner

Graham Turner has interviews for both The Sun and BBC Sport published today.

The Sun article (reproduced by the tea-total Wellsie, as it has not appeared on the Sun website), with Chris Kamara, is a jokey affair that compares Turner to Roman Abramovich: "Like Roman, I only answer to God!. But seriously, we are not in the same league - the only thing we have in common is we are both our own bosses. I know what I can and can't spend, whereas money is no object to him and I can't hide. I do have a boss - the fans. They are the people I answer to, whereas Roman will be unconcerned what the Chelsea supporters think.

"I would never dream of sacking a manager who had been so successful as Mourinho. Chelsea have made a drastic mistake. I apply the same principles with myself as every Chairman-owner should when he appoints a manager - let him manage."

The BBC Sport article focuses on the start to the season, and the way the squad has been assembled: "We needed to add that little bit of experience. It was a deliberate policy to try and bring in one or two with experience, like Clint Easton, Trevor Benjamin and Karl Broadhurst, players that have played 150-200 league matches at a higher level.

It's surprised me a little bit at how we have gelled as a team. But we are looking very solid. Last week's game against Bradford was significant because I think they will be up there challenging for promotion. They will be one of the better teams so there was a significance to the result, above the three points.

"The easy part is getting up there. The hard part is staying up there. But there is more to come from them. We take encouragement from clubs like Colchester and Southend, who have fought their way to the Championship. I know Southend did not stay in there long but Colchester have done very well. There is a place for the smaller teams, who mean a lot to their supporters."