Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Eight goal Sills seems happy with Torquay

Life at Torquay appears to be suiting Tim Sills. The former Hereford United striker has already bagged eight goals this season but still beleives he can perform as well in the League.

"You don't score all those goals in the Conference without believing that you can score more of them higher up," he told the Herald Express.

"It would be lovely to do it with a club that you've won promotion with.

"So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dream can come true with Torquay."

Sills, well aware that that he only scored three goals in eighteen months with both Oxford and Hereford, remembers his time at Aldershot when he scored 46 goals in 102 starts. It was there he worked for a short time with his new manager Paul Buckle.

"When Oxford came in for me (January 2006), it was the right time. If I had signed another two-year contract at Aldershot, I could probably have forgotten it.

"Brian Talbot signed me at Oxford and, although the goals weren't flowing, I enjoyed playing and training under him.

"Darren Patterson took over for a short while, but then the takeover happened and it all went to pot after that."

Then he moved to Edgar Street and League football.

"I played most of the games until Christmas and, although I was playing well, the goals weren't coming," he said.

"When you haven't gone up with a club, it's harder. And a striker with half a name for himself is always going to be made a scapegoat if the goals don't come.

"It was definitely a frustrating season.

"I'll be honest and say when I first had a shout that Torquay were interested that the location did put me off a bit," said Sills who had moved to the Hereford area.

"Managers are always going to speak well, because they want you to join, but Paul certainly did.

"In the time I had known him at Aldershot, he had made a big impact on me personally. And I had heard what he was like on the staff side from a couple of mates at Exeter.

"I brought the family down to look around and have a chat with Paul face to face, and the rest is history."

"Last season I didn't really play much football from January onwards, so I now feel as fit as I've been for a quite a while.

"If I can get to ten goals by Christmas, I'm always delighted, because you're then on for 20 for the season and all strikers aim for that.

"So having eight already - well, you've got to be pleased with that."