Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Away At Warrington On Tuesday 22nd October at 7.45pm

Monday, October 21, 2024

Playing At Hereford Was An Important Experience Said Gulacsi

 

Peter Gulacsi, the former Liverpool keeper who spent time on loan with Hereford, has been talking about his career in an interview with Score.

Gulacsi worked for five different managers at Liverpool, the first being Rafael Benitez.

'Having the same manager in Rafa, and the same goalkeeping coach with Xavi Valero, for the first three years gave me the chance to develop. I played for the reserves before I was loaned out in my second season to Hereford United and in my third season to Tranmere Rovers. Then the changes happened. It's not easy for an inexperienced, young 'keeper to get a chance and make steps forward when the club is going through difficult times. Managers are always under pressure from the beginning. So, I would say the second part of my Liverpool time was not so easy. But still, I managed to go on loan one more time to Tranmere and then to Hull City. I sat on the bench, I think, over 50 times for the first team but I never played a minute. It was a fantastic experience to work with different managers - really, really good managers - and also with (goalkeeping coach) John Achterberg for three years. The whole six years were a very important experience for me.'

theScore: Hereford, Tranmere, and Hull seem to be unlikely destinations for a future Bundesliga star. What did you learn at those clubs?

'Different things. In Hereford, that was the first time I was a No. 1 after being third choice at Liverpool and playing for the reserves. You realize straight away, it's a whole different level. It's very physical, a lot of action. You're under pressure. It was an important experience. In Tranmere, the situation was really good for me, because I could train with Liverpool and only had to do the prematch training and the games at Tranmere. So, I kind of stayed in a top football environment, but had the chance to play regularly on a very good level.'

Read more at: https://www.thescore.com/epl/news/3100468