Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Away At Bishop Stortford In The FA Cup On Saturday 28 September at 3.00pm

Friday, January 05, 2024

Fifty Years Ago Today - Hereford Draw At West Ham


It's fifty years to the day since Hereford draw at West Ham in the FA Cup Third Round.

Eric Redrobe put Hereford ahead in the 21st minute before Pat Holland’s late equaliser. 

23,087 watched the game.   

The game is most often recalled as it was Bobby Moore’s final first team appearance for West Ham. He was replaced by Holland after 30 minutes.

And it was the first time Sky Sport's Martin Tyler had commentated on an FA Cup Tie.

'The first FA Cup game I ever commentated on was the Third Round tie between West Ham and Hereford. But, it was not for television, it was for hospital radio. A friend of the family was responsible for the radio and they were a man down on that day, January 5th, 1974, so he knew I was interested in commentating and gave me the chance. I am not sure how well it went down with the ill and infirm, but I do know Pat Holland scored for the Hammers and Eric Redrobe equalised for the Welsh side, who went on to win the replay. I also know that I would cringe if I heard the commentary nowadays!'