Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Kings Lynn At Edgar Street On Saturday 21 September at 3.00pm

Friday, December 29, 2023

King's Lynn chair to go silent as club's future still looks uncertain

King's Lynn Town owner Stephen Cleeve will go silent as he tries to save the club
King's Lynn Town's owner and chairman Stephen Cleeve has vowed to go silent until he can share good news about the club's future.

He said he needs to get on with saving the club and won't get sidetracked - and releasing details could jeopardise talks.

Earlier this month, Bulls News reported that the future of King's Lynn looked uncertain if owner Cleeve decided he couldn't continue to fund the club or find other investment.

Figures released by Cleeve in the Lynn News suggest the National League North club needs £300,000 to get to the end of the season.

He said at the time: "I'm very worried and I can't give a guarantee that we'll see out the season. I think we'll be able to pay the wages in December but whether we can in January, I don't know."

He said the Linnets had spent at least £1 million each season for the last two years.

"The season we were in the National League, we spent more than a million on player wages alone and that was without going anywhere, paying an electric bill, a training bill or any other bills for that matter," he added.

"Once all the other costs had been paid it probably amounted to the same amount again. That's what it costs to run the football club, it's not a cheap business."

Now Cleeve has said that after some thought, he has decided not to post on social media again until he can bring followers some positive news.

"I have explained in some depth where we are and the situation has not changed, I am working around the clock to find a solution for the club," he said on X, formerly Twitter.

"There are a few people who are delighting and enjoying every minute of our difficult scenario and many accusations being made that are widely inaccurate - as those people do not know the full picture.

"It is no secret that there have been difficulties between certain staff members but that is the same as most companies.

"I need to get on with saving the club which I fully intend to do and I do not have the time to be sidetracked or for negativity as my focus is ensuring our survival.

"I know that many fans are eager to know what is going on and much of your concern is simply as you are wanting to know what is happening but like any transfer discussion I am simply not able to update you without jeopardising these talks.

"I will deal with other matters once the main job is done. 

"I would like to thank you for your support and the many emails I have been sent wishing me and the club well - I know that I carry a huge responsibility and I am personally exhausted with the situation but it would help everyone if we could all stay positive and move forward together. COYL."

King's Lynn Town are currently 21st in the table, with attendances 22 per cent down on last season, according to the Blue and Gold Supporters' Trust website