Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Sunday, March 06, 2022

Not The Best Time To Concede A Goal Said Gowling


York City scored their only goal of the game against Hereford just before half-time and afterwards Josh Gowling admitted it wasn't the best time for them to score.

"There were a couple of errors leading up to the goal," said the Hereford manager. 

"It enabled them to tap in just before half time, not the best time to concede a goal.

"But I think our lads were comfortable at half time, they came in and said we can win this.

"We went out second half, we kept going, we kept knocking on the goal and eventually we got the just rewards.

"York are a good side, a big strong physical side.

"They work hard for Askey. They had big Lenny up top, they are a big physical side so we knew we had to stand up to that first and foremost.

"We made a little tweak in our midfield just to deal with the balls in.

"I thought Luke was excellent today and I thought Ben Pollock was man of the match. He dealt with Lenny really well. He was strong, he was physical with him and that's probably the best I've seen him so I was really pleased with that."

Gowling brought Krystian Pearce, available after suspension, and Brandon Hall back into the starting eleven.

"I had a chat with Jamie (Egan), I just feel that with someone with the experience of Lenny, I think we've played against two strikers in the past couple of weeks when Ben and Jamie have not struggled but the physicality side of things - sometimes you need an experienced centre half like I was just to talk you through it and Krystian gives us that.

"I spoke to Andras about the situation. I wanted to bring our keeper back in just to get that spine back. Something we've missed a little bit.

"I think it was the right decision at the time but losing the players we have you think really we need to address that and get back to basics and we did that today." 

Gowling felt York tail off in the second half of games.

"We knew if we could get in at 0-0, which we didn't end up doing, that the second half would be ours and I think it was.

"I think Keenan was excellent when he came off the bench."