Thursday, March 25, 2021

McNeil backing Bulls for Trophy tie


Hereford legend 
Dixie McNeil has backed the Bulls to beat Woking in Saturday's FA Trophy Semi Final tie and reach Wembley, WRITES MARK RYAN.

McNeil, who couldn't stop scoring for Hereford in the mid-1970s, knows Woking from his recent involvement with Wrexham.

"Hereford can do it!" he said.

"I've seen a bit of Woking and they don't have any outstanding players. They may be in a higher division but there are no great teams in that division. Woking don't stick out.

"Hereford can do this, they can beat Woking and I would love to see them get to Wembley again.
I'll be keeping an eye on the match on Saturday, Hereford is always the first score I look out for.
Hereford is where I had most of my success. What time's kick-off?"

The enthusiasm for Hereford is still there in McNeil's voice, even though he was recently courted by the Hollywood superstars rebuilding Wrexham.

"I told them I would cooperate if they give me a part in a cowboy movie!" he joked.

However, no club has ever meant more to McNeil than the Bulls having scored an incredible 85 goals in 129 appearances for Hereford United.

He was top scorer in all four English divisions for two successive seasons, with his goals taking Hereford all the way to the old Division Two (now the Championship). McNeil bagged 34 goals in 40 games as the Bulls lifted the old Third Division title in 1976, with  England international Terry Paine providing the ammunition.

Hereford only stayed one season in the second tier of English football, but McNeil wasn't kept quiet, even up there.

"I scored 19 goals," he recalled. 

"I always made it a target to score at least 20, so I fell one short. I hit the crossbar at Fulham, where George Best was playing his first game back from America. We got a bit distracted by his girlfriend in the warm up, she was wearing tight shorts and high heels and walking around the touchline taking photos."

Now 74, McNeil's memories are still crystal clear. He wished Terry Paine a happy 82nd birthday online earlier this week, saying that they won't forget the Edgar Street good times.

In those days, 10,000 was an average crowd at Edgar Street and 14,000 wasn't unheard of.
It'll be a bit different on Saturday.

"No fans at Hereford for the big game? What a shame!" McNeil said.

"I really want to wish the lads luck. Woking are nothing to be scared of, Hereford have a good chance."