Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Monday, January 25, 2021

Statement From Martin Watson

Martin Watson

Martin Watson has given BN the following statement after his dismissal from his post as football secretary at Hereford FC which was announced yesterday.

I want to thank everyone for their kind and generous messages over the last 24 hours. I have been proud and privileged to have represented the Club and Fans over the past six years from meeting the FA to secure our place in the League System in 2015 to successfully appealing Ben Pollock's red card just this past Friday.


My departure from the Club underlines that there is only one constant at Edgar Street, and that is the Fans. While you may not be able to attend matches in the current climate, your influence and opinion has been at the core of the work I have done from day one. The Fans are everything to a Club, and no-one in a position of power should ever forget that.

The next few months are likely to be tougher for the Club than anything in the recent past. The doubts over promised funding and the uncertainty over whether the season will complete at all will put Clubs of our size and stature under immense pressure. The Board will not have a guidebook ready to tell them how to deal with the problems they will face. The situation is unprecedented and the decisions to be made will be harsh. My only expectation is that decisions are made within the context of what the Fans would expect.

I have far too many people to thank for the experience that I would surely miss one or more out if I were to make a list - and probably cause a debate as to why that name was missing. Some of the people that I have good memories of I don't even know their names but their reactions have stuck with me. Like the pensioner who, prior to the FA Vase final, came to the club to buy his ticket, tears in his eyes, profusely thankful that his Club had finally got to Wembley.

If you can evoke a reaction like that and the messages I've had from people then maybe, just maybe, I didn't do too badly in my small part.

Stay Safe

Martin.