Sunday, January 10, 2021

On This Day - January 1998

On this day, January 10th 1998, Hereford United were pitched against Dulwich Hamlet in the FA Umbro Trophy.

A look back:

HEREFORD United manager Graham Turner is undecided as to who will wear the goalkeeper's jersey against Dulwich Hamlet in the first round of the FA Umbro Trophy at Edgar Street today.

Andy DeBont, Hereford's penalty shoot-out hero against Colchester three weeks ago, and Andy Quy are in a squad of 14.

"Both have their qualities and I haven't decided who will be in goal. Tony Agana will start up front for the first time since the summer and Rob Warner will come in for the suspended Ian Rodgerson at full back," said Turner as reported by the Birmingham Post.

Agana returned after an Achilles operation as a substitute at Kidderminster on New Year's Day, scoring in a 4-1 win.

HEREFORD United 3 Dulwich Hamlet 0 (report by Peter Povall)

This match was the start of Hereford United's best chance of reaching Wembley this season. With the Tranmere game on Tuesday night and facing Sunderland after that, the odds in the FA Cup have lengthened.

Hereford however did not play at their best by any means, but a brace of goals from Richard Walker, his first for the club, and a further one from Tony Agana sealed the fate of Dulwich Hamlet.

Hereford's chances started early with Neil Grayson hitting the bar in the 2nd minute. The play then seemed to bound from end to end as both teams took to hoofing the ball up the field only to have it returned to them by the defence. There where, however, some spirited attacks made by Dulwich which did pressure Andy DeBont into making a couple of simple saves.

The first goal came in the 23rd minute when Richard Walker connected with a corner to take his first goal for the club, driving the ball into the back of the net with a header.

Just ten minutes later he was there again, to finish a corner which was flicked on by Gavin Mahon at the front post to put the Dulwich defence in disarray.

After the break, Garry Cook was brought on in place of Brian McGorry, and again did his very best to spread the ball about in midfield. This combined with the great start made by Walker set United rolling.

Neil Grayson again hit the bar in the 54th minute. A mere minute later, Tony Agana headed in from another corner to claim his second goal in as many games. A great performance when you consider that he has been out injured since August 1997.

The pressure then mounted against Dulwich with both Hargreaves and Fishlock have shots saved by Darren Williams. Graham Turner also made a couple of changes by bringing on Andy Quy and relieving Tony Agana with James McCue.

To give Dulwich their due, they did match spirited attacks towards the end of the game and their supporters made more noise than many we have faced this season.