Saturday, December 26, 2020

Camwell stunner helps Hereford claim excellent win over Kiddie

A stunning Chris Camwell goal helped Hereford claim an excellent 3-1 win over Kidderminster Harriers at Edgar Street.

Camwell let fly from 25 yards out as the Bulls won for the fourth time in a row in all competitions.

“Although we’ve won 3-1 against second in the league, we’ve probably played better on the ball, but I think everything is starting to click now,” said Hereford manager Josh Gowling.

“We spoke at half time about moving the ball quicker, and by doing that we opened them up.

“It was pleasing that for the last five to 10 minutes that we played at our own tempo and slowed the game down.”

It was Kidderminster who started the better of the two teams and they went ahead in the 8th minute. Hereford goalkeeper Brandon Hall failed to get enough power on a punch from a corner and Luke Maxwell fired home.

Hereford were level within eight minutes. A clearance from Hall was flicked on by Tom Owen-Evans, who in turn found Kyle Finn. The later then set up James Mquilkin, who stroked the ball home. The goal clearly lifted the Bulls and they started to get a foothold in the game.

Camwell went close to putting his side ahead in the 26th minute when his effort fizzed just over before Kidderminster were reduced to 10 men. Amari Morgan-Smith lunged at a loose ball, but caught Hall with his studs showing. Referee Sam Mulhall had no hesitation in producing the red card and sent off the Harriers striker.

In the 39th minute, a Camwell free-kick deflected off a Hereford teammate and wide, while at the other end, Yan Klukowski did well to thwart a Kidderminster set piece.

Hereford started the second half well and went ahead in spectacular fashion thanks to Camwell in the 49th minute. Kidderminster started to get frustrated and Ashley Hemmings and Maxwell soon picked up yellow cards.

Substitute Koby Arthur did inject some energy into the Harriers attack, but the away side were unable to threaten Hall in the Hereford goal.

And it was Hereford who sealed the win with nine minutes remaining. Owen-Evans whipped over a corner which was flicked on by Kelsey Mooney for Lenell John-Lewis to head home. 

Hereford: Hall; Hodgkiss, Klukowski, Grimes, Lloyd; Finn, McQuilkin (Mooney 63), Haines, Camwell (Coke 76); Owen-Evans 7, John-Lewis 7 (Forsyth 87).

Subs not used: White, Dy Jones.

Kidderminster: Simpson; Penny, Lowe, Moyo, Richards; Austin (Martin 85), Maxwell (Prosser 67), Montrose, Hemmings; Sterling (Arthur 71), Morgan-Smith 5.

Subs not used: Palmer, Taylor.