Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Chester Supporters Receive Open Letter About Takeover

Chester supporters have received an 'open letter' from Stuart Murphy who is interested in taking over the club which is currently supporter owned.

Murray 'invested' £1M in the National North club eighteen months ago but now wants to go further.

"I would like to make it clear that things would be different if I took the reins. I believe that I have already demonstrated I have a deep affinity with the club," said Murphy is his letter.

"It is NOT a business opportunity for me, it is a unique opportunity for me to leave an indelible impression on something I care so much about.

"I could see then that the club was in a perilous position and I was delighted to be able to help financially. Being involved with the club since then has been a privilege. It has been a real eye-opener for me and a challenge I have relished getting my teeth into."

Murphy's plans include a 'Sporting Village'.

"We need to draw upon as many revenue streams as we can to give our managers the best chance of producing winning football.

"The 1885 Sporting Village will allow us to do that. I cannot emphasise enough how ground breaking the development will be. It will absolutely transform the area. It will be like a living, breathing organism with the football club right at the heart. 

"I am willing to help financially - not just next season, but on an ongoing basis. But this is not a ‘one-off’ donation anymore - this is an ongoing commitment to Chester FC - and for me to be able to drive things forward at a pace I need to take control of the club." 

Meanwhile Wrexham, which is also supporter owned, has said that any bid for their club could not be accepted under their current rules.

“To accept a bid for the club this rule would need to be overturned by special resolution. A Special Resolution requires a majority of 75% of members and at least 50% of members voting.

“Following this there would need to be a further resolution to wind up the society and distribute its assets to charitable causes in the local community. All of the above would be a decision of the membership of the society.”