Sunday, March 15, 2020

Bulls Fail To Turn Possession Into Goals

Organic reports from Spennymoor.

Yesterday's National North League game at Spennymoor might be the last that Hereford will play for some weeks, probably months, given the Conoravirus which is sweeping the country.

There were doubts on Friday whether the game would go ahead. The Hereford squad set off around lunchtime and had arrived at Mansfield's training ground before the National League put out a statement to say fixtures would go ahead. 

Then yesterday news filtered through that a Kettering player might have got the virus. Hereford had played Kettering last Tuesday evening. And Kettering's game at Telford was to go ahead. 

And no-one had officially told Hereford.

The game went ahead but in the back of ones minds was the question should it have kicked off.

A cloudy cool day at the Brewery Field. However the pitch looked in good condition no doubt helped by work which took place last summer. But the slope remains in place and Hereford played up it in the first half.

Interim manager Josh Gowling kept faith with the same starting eleven as at Kettering last Tuesday with the exception of Jordan Cullinane-Liburd taking the place of Jevan Anderson who had felt his hamstring at Kettering. Former Bull James Roberts started for Spennymoor and they had a new keeper, Dale Eve.

On five minutes Spennymoor took the lead. The hosts won a corner which was well directed into the area. Nathan Buddle was adjudged by referee Nathanael Cox to have been tripped and a penalty was awarded. To be fair the referee took his time before pointing to the spot but it looked soft. Glen Taylor placed the ball to the right of Brandon Hall.

A few minutes later Tom-Owen Evans, playing on the right, received a pass from Jacob Jagger Cane and let fly from twenty yards but it went just wide. Roberts for Spennymoor then tested Hall after a good run down the right. Jared Hodgkiss launched four useful crosses in quick succession into the area but none were met by a Hereford forward.

Tommy O'Sullivan tried a long range shot but it was easily gathered by Eve.

On 22 minutes Moors doubled their lead. Ex-Bull Roberts put in a cross from the left which was somehow met by Tyler Forbes. 

John-Lewis met a cross from Hodgkiss but it didn't trouble Eve. Minutes later a Jason Pope long range effort which out for a corner.

But in truth Hereford chances were limited and Spennymoor went in at half-time deserving their 2-0 lead. 

Playing down the slope in the second half, Hereford had several chances early on. Possibly the best after being awarded a free-kick. Owen-Evans floated a ball into the area which was met by Marin Riley. The ball was knocked down to John-Lewis but he couldn't direct the ball past Eve.

Moor's third goal came ten minutes into the second half after a good cross from Roberts found Anderson who headed in past Hall.

Gowling brought on Kyle Finn and the left-winger made some decent runs down the slope. Pope was brought down but O'Sullivan's free kick could only find Eve.

A decent cross by Finn evaded both Mooney and John-Lewis.

And another cross, minutes later took a deflection for a corner.

Two minutes later a low shot from Finn nearly crept under Eve's out-stretched arm.

And Owen-Evans might have done better when one on one with Eve.

Moors should have gone 4-0 ahead but they failed to take advantage in a goal-mouth scramble with Ramshaw unable to poke the ball home.

Hereford were having the majority of possession at this stage but despite continuing to create chances couldn't find away past Eve.

But three minutes before full time Moors sealed their victory, Taylor beating Hall.

All in all a disappointing day for Hereford. On the plus side plenty of possession but, on times, poor marking and also a failure to put chances away cost the Bulls dearly. It might also be noted that this game coming as the fourth away game in eleven days was, perhaps, one game too far especially given how heavy the pitch was at Kettering last Tuesday.

Attendance: 1259 with 58 from Hereford.

Hereford: Hall, Hodgkiss (C), Cullinane-Liburd, Pollock, Pope, Riley, O'Sullivan, Jagger Cane, John-Lewis, Mooney, Owen-Evans

Subs: Liburd, Ash, Thomas, Finn, Davies