Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Bulls claim stunning win at league leaders

Terry Goodwin was at York to witness Hereford's brilliant victory.

The first of four successive away trips for Hereford saw them put in a stunning performance to beat York City 4-1.

It’s the sort of night that typifies why it’s worth following your out-of-form team to the other end of the country to play the league leaders!

In the Bulls’ final visit to Bootham Crescent before York’s move to a new ground in the summer, the home side started the match three points clear of Kings Lynn at the summit of the table. Hereford hadn’t won since the New Year’s Day victory over Kidderminster, and with one league win since the start of October, began in 17th place.

In Josh Gowling’s fifth league game in charge, the interim manager opted to bring in Kyle Finn and Jason Pope, with Kieran Thomas missing out and Rowan Liburd dropping to the bench.

For York boss Steve Watson, it was a night to forget. The Bulls struck after just three minutes with Jared Hodgkiss and Lenell John-Lewis involved as the ball hit the post, and then Kelsey Mooney fires home.

John-Lewis turned goalscorer on 14 minutes to make it 2-0 after good work by Tom Owen-Evans after Mooney had been fouled. The 47 Hereford fans at the far end couldn’t believe what they were seeing!

York had their chances though, and grew into the game after a confident and creative Hereford start. The Bulls defender Martin Riley needed treatment on his troublesome shoulder, and the home side turned the screw as they looked to get back into the game. Two Kieran Green free kicks narrowly missed the target, York hit the crossbar, and then Jordan Barrow had the ball in the Hereford net but it was ruled out for offside.

Then Alex Kempster struck on 32 minutes to pull a goal back for York with a low drive, and two minutes later he almost equalised when his dipping header was tipped over the bar by Brandon Hall.

York continued to pressurise but Hereford’s midfield absorbed the attacks, and the Bulls looked a different team going forward with lively moves and an attacking vision.

Hereford started the second half replacing the energetic Kyle Finn with Tommy O’Sullivan. Immediately the home side drove forward, hitting the post with a Green header which bounced off the line. It was a stroke of luck for Hereford, and they used it to full advantage.

At the other end following a Owen-Evans corner, Jason Pope made it 3-1 after a scramble in the box. His close range effort beat York goalkeeper Peter Jameson, and the Bulls regained a two goal cushion.

Lenell John-Lewis was having the time of his life! He had a volley tipped over minutes before his second goal.

Mooney picked out John-Lewis and he unleashed a stunning, ferocious, curving shot from the edge of the box that nestle inside the near post. Hereford were 4-1 up!

The home side may have had chances to cut the deficit with a Kempster header going over the bar, and Hodgkiss heading into his own post, but this was Hereford’s night.

There’s been a change in style and energy since Josh Gowling and Steve Burr took over, and tonight it all came together perfectly.

York: Jameson, Griffiths, Ferguson, Newton, McLaughlin (Jones, 57), Tait, Moke, Green (Buxton, 65), Burrow (capt), Maguire, Kempster. Unused subs: Bond, King, Henderson.

Hereford: Hall, Hodgkiss (capt), Anderson, Pollock, Pope, Riley, Jagger Cane, Owen-Evans, John-Lewis (Liburd, 86), Mooney, Finn (O’Sullivan, 46). Unused subs: Ash, Davies, Whitlock.

Referee: David McNamara

Art: 2,353 (47 away)