Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Woeful Bulls lose unbeaten home record

Hereford produced a very poor performance tonight as they went down 2-1 to Alfreton Town in their first home defeat of the season.

The Bulls looked passive and lacked pace, which was probably why the crowd sounded quiet throughout the match, with some fans booing at full time.

Injury-ravaged Alfreton were well out of form going into the game but put their recent woes behind them to force their way back into the play-off places.

The Bulls meanwhile remain in 12th place, three points off seventh. Of course, there is still a long way to go and Hereford are still very much in the play-off picture. But far too often this season, they have been off the pace, whether it’s up front or making mistakes at the back.

Manager Russell Slade was forced to make a number of changes from the team that drew 0-0 with Darlington 1-0 days ago.

Reece Styche and Rowan Liburd are away on international duty, while Peter Vincenti and Tommy O’Sullivan were missing due to injury and suspension respectively. There was also no place for Jared Hodgkiss or Taylor Allen in the 16.

The visitors flew out of the blocks and had already gone close through Shane Killock when they took the lead in the fourth minute; Daniel East firing home from distance.

Shane Killock With A Header That Brandon Hall Tipped Over
However, the Bulls managed to claw their way back into the game and levelled nine minutes later. Victor Sodeinde looked lively during the first half and his curling effort when in off defender Ryan Qualter on its way to goal.  

Both teams had chances to go 2-1 up before the half was up, with Joshua Clackstone wasting a guilt-edge chance for the visitors when he blazed wide when it looked easier to score. 

However, Alfreton did restore their lead five minutes after the break. East’s corner caused problems for the Bulls backline and Amari Morgan-Smith was on hand to smash the loose ball home.

Hereford could have equalised in the 59th minute, but Brad Ash fired just wide from a free kick.

The Bulls made a double change in the 67th minute, with Kelsey Mooney and Tom Owen-Evans replacing Mike Symons and Jason Pope respectively. But the changes had little impact, with Hereford failing to make too many inroads into the Alfreton box.

Jordan Nicholson could have had a shot at goal in the 70th minute but for a good tackle, but apart from that, Hereford looked toothless going forward. Next up is an away trip to Altrincham on Saturday.

Hall; Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Gowling, Bodenham; Ash (Bray 81), Dawson Pope (Owen-Evans 67), Sodeinde; Nicholson, Symons (Mooney 67). Subs not used: Riley, Pollock.

Alfreton: Atkinson; Clackstone, Smith, Qualter, Killock, Thacker; Whitham, East, Branson; Clarke, Morgan-Smith.
Subs not used: Bacon, Andrew, Blake, Bennett, Grice.

Attendance: 1,821 (19 away fans).