Saturday, November 30, 2019

Farsley equalise at the death as Bulls have goal harshly disallowed

A goal deep into stoppage time saw Farsley Celtic snatch an unlikely equaliser against Hereford after it looked like the Bulls would claim a much needed win this afternoon.

Jack Higgins was on hand to snatch the equaliser in the 93rd minute to leave their 17 travelling fans delighted.

But a goal harshly ruled out, that would have put Hereford 2-0 up with nine minutes remaining, will be the main talking point of the match, with many Bulls fans booing off the officials as they left the pitch.

After substitute Alex Bray slotted the ball home, many Farsley players were incensed and surrounded referee Edward Duckworth. And after a lengthy conversation with his assistant, the goal was disallowed as Reece Styche due to being offside, although he wasn't interfering with play. The Farsley manager was also sent off for his protests.

And the sucker punch duly arrived in stoppage time to leave the Bulls and the supporters very frustrated.

Hereford manager Russell Slade picked a much stronger team for today’s encounter following Tuesday’s dreadful FA Trophy defeat to King’s Lynn.

Danny Greenslade made his first start of the season following injury, while Stephen Dawson made a welcome return to the centre of midfield.

Danny Greenslade
There were also starts for Taylor Allen and Jordan Nicholson; however, neither Josh Gowling, Mike Symons nor Rowan Liburd were in the matchday squad.

There was little in the way of goalmouth action in the early exchanges and the first chance of the game didn’t arrive until the 15th minute. A free-kick found Reece Styche, who shot wide when through on goal when it looked easier to score.

That miss could easily have proved costly as Farsley thought they had taken the lead just a minute later. James Spencer’s looping cross hit the bar, leaving Luke Parkin the task of heading the ball on to Nathan Cartman to tap home. But the flag was raised for offside and the goal was disallowed.

Hereford had an opportunity to take the lead 10 minutes before the break, but twice Allen was denied. First. goalkeeper Kyle Trenerry palmed his effort away before he denied Allen again with a point-black save just seconds later.

The Bulls started the second half brightly and Nicholson was denied by Trenerry in the 47th minute. 

Then, captain Daniel Ellis got ahead of Styche to intercept the ball after a useful cross from Allen.

However, Hereford did take the lead in the 68th minute when Allen calmly slotted home.  

Styche Happy That Hereford Have Scored

It of course should have been 2-0 were it not for the disallowed goal, and that probably played on the minds of the Hereford players.

And Farsley then grabbed the equaliser that they didn’t deserve.

Hereford: Hall; Hodgkiss, Cullinane-Liburd, Riley (Bodenham 75), Greenslade; Vincenti (Bray 65), O’Sullivan (Pope 80), Dawson, Allen; Nicholson, Styche.
Subs not used: Owen-Evans, Mooney.

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry; Richards, Higgins, Ellis, Allen; B Atkinson (Syers 69), Parkin, C Atkinson, Hayhurst; Spencer, Cartman (Francis 79). Subs not used: Regan, Milambo, Bett.

Man of the Match: Dawson

Attendance: 2,075 (17 away fans).