Tuesday, September 17, 2019

REPORT: Dramatic winner preserves Bulls' unbeaten home record

A dramatic goal from substitute Tommy O’Sullivan saw Hereford beat Gateshead 2-1 this evening and preserve their unbeaten home record.

O'Sullivan was on hand to slot the ball home after the Bulls capitalised on a poor back-pass from Elliot Forbes.

It was a much-needed win for Hereford following the 3-0 reverse at Guiseley at the weekend and will breed a lot of confidence going forward.

Earlier, Jordan Nicholson had equalised for the Bulls after the away side took the lead in fortuitous circumstances just two minutes earlier.

Nicholson - who was named man-of-the-match - capitalised on a Mike Williamson mistake to slot home in the 65th minute.

Just three minutes earlier, Gateshead took the lead when the ball cannoned off the back of Hereford keeper Brandon Hall and into the net after Josh Kayode’s shot had struck the post.

Hereford manager Russell Slade changed it around for tonight’s game following the poor display at Guiseley.

Josh Gowling was back into partner Jordan Cullinane-Liburd at centre half, with Jared Hodgkiss moved to right back. However, Hodgkiss still wore the captain's armband.

Jack Bodenham was on the left, with Keiron Thomas drafted into midfield to partner Jason Pope and Jacob Jagger Cane.

Nicholson also got a start, with Rowan Liburd dropped to the bench.

The Bulls struggled to create too many chances during a tight first half, although Nicholson did go close on two occasions.

At the other end, Gateshead created a number of corners and should have scored from at least one of them. However, Greg Olley's header in the 29th minute went wide. And two minutes later, Hall had to be alert to thwart Josh Kayode. 

Hereford's best chance in the opening 45 minutes came on the stroke of half time, but Nicholson's effort flashed just wide. 

The Bulls almost took the lead in the 56th minute when Gateshead keeper Brad James fumbled at the ball, but it went over the bar after hitting Reece Styche.

A mad few minutes then saw both sides exchange goals and it looked like it was going to be a draw. A total of six minutes was added on due to a bad injury to Gateshead captain Scott Barrow and that was enough time for O’Sullivan to score the winner.

Hereford: Hall; Hodgkiss (O’Sullivan 72), Cullinane-Liburd, Gowling, Bodenham; Nicholson, Pope (Owen-Evans 57), Thomas, Jagger Cane, Ash; Styche (Liburd 66).

Subs not used: Symons, Maye.

Gateshead: James; Nicholson, Lees, Williamson, Barrow (Blackett 86); Tear (Preston 73), Agnew (Forbes 80), Deverdics, O’Donnell; Olley, Kayode.

Subs not used: Blackett, Guthrie, Nelson, Forbes.

Attendance: 1,703 (20 away fans).