Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Saturday, January 05, 2019

I Just Thought I'm Hitting This Said Gowling


Hereford's Josh Gowling scored from just under 20 yards to give the Bulls a much deserved point against league leaders Chorley this afternoon.

Afterwards he spoke to the HT and BN.

"I don't score many," said a delighted Gowling.

"It's been awhile since I scored. It was amazing.

"I just think we deserved the result more than anything, take away my goal, we deserved something and to get it at the end was amazing.

"We were disappointed with the goal (scored by former Hereford United midfielder Josh O'Keefe) which we conceeded and then we pushed forward.

"When they had a man sent off they dropped right off so we put balls in the box, we believed we would get something out of it and we did."

Why was their player (who hadn't been on the pitch long) sent off?

"I think he kicked out at Jordan on the floor, I didn't quite see all of it but the ref was standing right there.

"I think he kicked out at him and the ref saw that and sent him off."

Gowling described his goal.

"I just thought I'm hitting this, the refs going to blow so I'm going to have a go.
 
"I missed one at Kiddy and I said I'm due one and I haven't scored in a while so I just thought when it bounced I'm hitting this.

"Luckily it went into the top corner.

"One of the last kicks of the game to get a goal like that is amazing.

A Very Happy Josh Gowling After Scoring His Goal
And Some Very Happy Supporters
"We deserved something out of the game so maybe the draw is a fair reflection. You just shake hands and get off the pitch.

"Someone threw some water at someone, you don't want to see that in football. It's not professional.

"We try to be professional, we are better than that."

Today's draw means the Bulls are unbeaten at home since November 13th.

"I think at home on this pitch we can play a bit of football. We can work out our game plan a bit more.

"Because the lads are young being at home just gives us that bit of edge, bit of confidence.

"I think if you had said we would get seven points out of the Christmas period, I think we would be happy with it especially where we are in the league.

"We've just got to keep doing the fundamentals right, keep building, cut out little mistakes like their goal because we could have won the game 1-0 today."

The team looks a lot fresher than on New Years Day.

"It's difficult isn't it because the Christmas period it's game, game, game, game.

"We had a couple of days rest so there's probably going to be one game when you are off a little bit and I think we were at that Kiddy game.

"But fresh legs today and we looked a bit better."

It's Brackley in the FA Trophy next Saturday.

"I've been in an FA Trophy final with Grimsby so it'a great competition and a great chance to get to Wembley.  So we've got to take it seriously and get there.

"We fancy our chances against anyone. We've played all the top teams now, Chorley were top, there's no difference between us and them.

"If you have belief then you can do anything in football.

"We work hard, we do analysis, we work hard on the training pitch. When we do the fundamentals right no one can beat us."

Going back ten years did Gowling ever think he would be at Edgar Street again?

"To be honest coming back has been great for me because I've been at a few clubs and to come back to one you know is fantastic.

"Everyone has made me feel really welcome.

"When I came to the Alfreton game I saw a few friendly faces so it was good to say hello.

"I am a bit greyer than the first time and my hair is slightly different but apart from that all good."

Has Edgar Street changed?

"It's always been great, the fans fantastic. There's loads of fans that come out and support the team and get around the team.

"I don't think that's ever going to change."