Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Comfortable First Game In Men's Football For Wassall


Derby County loanee Ethan Wassall had never played a game in men's football before today, but it was comfortable day and he was helped a lot by his team - especially Ryan Green.

Hereford lined up in a slightly unfamiliar 3-5-2 formation, with Wassall in a back three with Ryan Green and Harvey Smith as Keiran Thomas and Danny Greenslade pushed played as wing-backs.

"I did alright, it was my first game in men's football and I really enjoyed it," said Wassall.

"The lads got behind me, they helped me through it and the fans were brilliant. Everyone deserves if not one point, three - brilliant day all round.

"At the start of this season we started going into a back three more so I'm quite comfortable with it. Usually I played in the middle, but I'm happy to play on the right, left, anywhere to help the team.

"Comfortable today."

Wassall will train with the Bulls they meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but also spend time at his parent club where he's on a professional contract.

Yesterday was only the second time the 20-year-old had been with the squad, meeting them for the first time at training on Thursday evening.

"I trained with the lads on Thursday and obviously today it was great to put a shirt on, get on the pitch with them and play my first game," he added."

"Today he (Ryan Green) was brilliant, everyone got behind me, but he kept talking to me with all the experience and he really helped me through the game.

"We've got a good relationship me and Yatesy, it was great to have him behind me I know what he can do, he knows what I can do. I thought he was spectacular today, especially second half when we were under the cosh."

The name Wassall may ring a bell for some fans of Hereford United - Ethan is son of Darren who played five games for the Bulls on loan from Nottingham Forest in 1987.

Darren, who was also a defender, is now the Academy Director at Derby, but his son joked he was told to make sure he put in a good performance.

"He talked me through it when the interest came in, I think he said he made his debut for Hereford at Stockport away as well, he said he had a good performance so to make sure I did!

"I was under a little bit of pressure but he helped me."