Monday, July 20, 2015

First Class Honours For Bauza


Bauza At Merthyr Last Saturday
Former Hereford United player Guillem Bauza is training to become a medical geneticist.

Bauza, who played for Merthyr in last Saturday's friendly against his former club, graduated with a first class honours degree from Swansea University's College of Medicine last Monday.

"Growing up I'd always wanted to be a doctor, but life changes and football came along," Bauza told BBC Sport.

"I realised when I came to Swansea that learning English would be vital if I was going to be able to fit in and enjoy the culture here.

"The PFA (Professional Footballers' Association) were very helpful with getting me over the language barrier and they talked a lot to me about my options after football.

"So I was delighted when I got accepted by Swansea University and had the chance to swap one dream for another."

Bauza started his studies whilst with Hereford but it was only after he joined Merthyr in 2013 that he started to study full-time.

"I could join the medicine degree and become a doctor, but since starting my course I've become really interested in the research side and would love to do my PHD at Swansea.

"I realise that the thing I miss most about being a professional footballer is the ability to make people happy.

"Hopefully I can go on to make breakthroughs which can help us better understand genetic conditions and make people happy once again."