Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Saturday, July 08, 2023

Rooney Pleased To Get Off The Mark


Adam Rooney converted a penalty for Hereford after he was bundled over in the box in the second half of this afternoon's friendly against West Brom Under 21's.

Rooney made his Hereford debut after striker Andy Williams went off with what looked like a knee injury.

Afterwards he spoke to the local media.

"Always nice to get a goal on your debut.

"The main thing today was that we wanted the lads to look solid.

"We knew they would keep the ball well, they would move it well.

"We wanted to make sure we were disciplined and organised without the ball and I think you could see that.

"We've no doubt about the quality we have in the group in terms of on the ball.We've got lads with pace and goals in the team. Delighted to see that today."

Rooney only had 20 or so minutes on the pitch. He said it was disappointing to see Willo go down but that's what we've got the squad for.

"Hopefully the lads can access it, we'll have to see how that goes."

Rooney was brought down in the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

"I've scored fifty in my career so I'm used to taking them

"Always nice to get a penalty and get off the mark.

"There were some good balls into the box as well, some good opportunities for us, good to see we are creating chances."

Rooney is assistant manager and he admitted it was taking some getting used to.

"Getting my head around taking the warm-ups and being ready to come on myself at the time. I'll adapt to that. But really enjoying it.

"The gaffer is brilliant, he's been excellent since he's come in. The enthusiasm he's driven around the place.

"I think you could see the great atmosphere here today.

"I think the performance was excellent today against a team who moved the ball really well.

"There will be stages when we will have to sit in against teams, we just know we have to be organised."

Caddis have three strikers signed, Andy Williams, Jason Cowley and Adam Rooney. How are you getting to know the other strikers?

"I heard of Willo twelve years ago at Swindon for a while. Me and Willo know each other well.

"Cowley I think he'll be a fans favourite. I can see the workrate and desire he has. He chases every lost cause. He wins a lot of 50/50 balls.

"I think he has lots of goals in his game as well, hopefully we'll see that."