Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Monday, June 07, 2021

How Maziar Kouhyar Came To Play At Wembley


One of the subs in Hereford's team that played in the FA Trophy final at Wembley two weeks ago wa
s Afghan Maziar Kouhyar.

He had only just joined the squad after a spell out of football.

Originally he was with Walsall but was released in 2019. Then he found jobs firstly with KFC and secondly as a car salesman.

But as he told BBC Sport he had a trial with Hereford.

"It's come very quickly and it was very unexpected but it's a dream come true," says Kouhyar.

"It began with my ACL [anterior cruciate ligament injury]. I was out for 10 months and then, when I got back from injury, it was difficult and I got released. Lockdown didn't help and I didn't know what to do.

"I was working in KFC, I worked there for two weeks. After that I was at Toyota selling cars. I was thinking football is maybe done for me now.

"Playing five-a-side with my friends made the love of football slowly come back, then the trial at Hereford, playing the first training game, scoring a goal.

"It just kind of unlocked the love for football again. I'm just glad that I can finally chase my dream again."

Kouhyar is reported to be in talks with manager Josh Gowling about staying with Hereford next season.  

Gowling says he's impressed with Kouhyar.

"Obviously when he came in the first day, straight away you could see his qualities," said Gowling.

"When you have had a player play in the Football League, they have a certain air and grace about them, a certain touch. It’s the difference between elite players and amateur players, the way they move. Their co-ordination is different. The way they manipulate the ball is different, their head movements, just the way they see the game is different. 

"Obviously he’s got all that in abundance. You could see straight away with his touches. He’s calm, he’s got a good touch, manipulates the ball away from people. You could see that straight away, without a doubt. I never had any worries about him. I was impressed. I can’t wait to see him with a full pre-season under his belt."