Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Sunday, October 20, 2019

White Remembers His Time At Hereford

Former Hereford United player Winston White has been talking to the Leicester City historian about his career.

Now living in Florida, White made over 600 league and cup appearances.

He went to school in Leicester. When 14 he was spotted by Leicester's chief scout. Two year later he was signed as an apprentice.

Just 18 he made his first team debut at Stoke and set up the winner for Frank Worthington.

However managerial changes didn't suit White which is why he asked for a move.

"I felt that I needed to leave the Club because I needed to play in a style of play which suited me" he said.

He joined Hereford United in March 1979 for a fee of £15,000.

"Going to Hereford says a lot about my background and about the support system I had," he said. 

"I am from an amazing family which still lives in Leicester. I had a very humble background but a very rounded one. I was determined, even though I did take a few steps down the league, to maintain my standard of football. 

"I did well at Hereford United. It was a culture shock in many ways but I was always determined to get back up the ladder. I just wanted to play games. At that time I was 21. I needed to play. 

"I signed for a good manager, Mike Bailey, the ex-Wolves player. Bobby Gould was his assistant manager. They wanted to bring young players on. Unfortunately, within half a season, Mike Bailey and Bobby Gould left and I was on the treadmill of different managers again. This doesn’t help a player’s development." 

White eventually left Hereford and had short spells at several clubs before signing for Bury.


White made over 200 league and cup appearances for Hereford United and scored 24 goals before leaving at the end of the 1982/83 season.


In 1979 he played in a benefit match for West Brom's Len Cantello, when a team of white players played against a team of black players.