Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Friday, July 19, 2019

Bulls News Q&A with Hereford legend Ryan Green

Ryan Green celebrates scoring against Alvechurch

Ryan Green is to finally bid farewell to Edgar Street next Wednesday after nearly 400 games in a Bulls shirt.

The popular defender - who has signed for Westfields this season - will play a cameo role in his testimonial match against Wolves Under-23s.

Bulls News recently caught up with Green to talk about his three spells at Edgar Street after first pulling on a Hereford shirt 16 years ago.

What has been your highlights playing for both Hereford United and Hereford FC?

For Hereford United, it was obviously the Halifax game at Leicester. To be so close the previous two seasons and to eventually go up and for me to score the winner was unbelievable and a day I will never forget. At Hereford FC, it would have to be the FA cup run.  Eastleigh and Fleetwood away were amazing occasions and the supporters were immense.

Your first league game was on a baking hot day at Tamworth in August 2003. What do you remember about that game?

I remember it being boiling hot, and I was just thinking what a very good team we have and that we 
would have a good chance of going up. It was a great winning start and again, great support.

What are your memories of the 2003/04 season and was losing to Aldershot in the play-offs your biggest disappointment in a Hereford shirt?

It was an awful day to lose to Aldershot with Tretts (Andy Tretton) getting sent off. To lose the game after an amazing season really hurt for weeks after.

After losing in the play-offs again – this time to Stevenage in the 2004/05 season, did you still believe Hereford could get promoted to the Football League? Were you disappointed in the team’s performance in the second leg at Edgar Street?

It was another disappointing end to the season and this time we didn't show what we were capable of, and you could say we bottled it a little bit. Then days after, we really disliked Stevenage and the manager, Graham Westley. So, yes it was another heartbreak. However. I did think it could have been third time lucky, so I signed up for a third year.

Hereford finally gained promotion the following season in a memorable match at the Walkers Stadium, with you scoring the winning goal. Being honest, have you ever hit a sweeter strike, and did you mean it?

Yes, third time lucky and what an occasion. It was probably our weakest team out of the three years, but we battled through it and got the deserved promotion. It was a tired left foot swing to be honest and it could have gone anywhere. Fortunately for me, it went in the top corner.

If Hereford FC had won the FA Vase Final at Wembley, would that have eclipsed the Halifax win at Leicester?

No, I didn't think it would have. Wembley was an amazing experience, but even if we had won, it wouldn't have beaten Leicester. Three hard years we tried to get promoted and to eventually do it was unreal.

You left Hereford to join Bristol Rovers – would you have liked to have stayed?

To be honest I would have love to have stayed, but I was struggling financially at Hereford and Graham Turner only offered me £50 a week more for getting promoted. So, when Rovers trebled my wages, I had to do it to live comfortably.

You returned to the club in 2009 following the club’s relegation to League Two. That period (2009 to 2012) was a difficult time at the club. What do you take from it?

My second spell was probably my least enjoyable. It was not greatly run with new owners, managers changed to often and to finish getting relegated summed it up to be honest.

What did you think of the club’s demise after watching it from afar after you left in 2012?
It was hard to take seeing the club get in such a mess, and to see the owners from London destroy the club was heartbreaking.

The club reformed and you decided to return in 2015. What were your aims and expectations at the time?

When I received a message asking if I would like to return to the new reformed club I was extremely excited and jumped at the chance and couldn't wait to get going. It was a great decision and the first year was one of my all-time favourite times in my career.

Even though the club were playing in the Midland League, it still featured many memorable occasions. What do you take from it and di you enjoy the club’s battle with Alvechurch?

Like I said, it was an amazing experience, and for Alvechurch to take us nearly all the way made it even more exciting. The game away near the end of the season was memorable. The pitch and conditions were horrific, but we grounded it out and got the win, which killed off Alvechurch’s season.

Looking back now, how disappointed were you with how the team lost to Morpeth or do you think it was still a great achievement making the final and take the experience away with you?

The Morpeth game was a real downer. We did so well to get there and was a great experience with all the Hereford fans there, so it was set up for a great achievement. But it all went wrong and ended the season on a downer. But, looking at the bigger picture, it was our first season, we got promoted and reached Wembley. So it could have been the most enjoyable season in my career.

Following two further promotions, Hereford were placed in National League North, rather than South. Was that a kick in the teeth and how harder was it to play in the north, than the south?

It was another great season and we won it fairly easy after some tough run ins with Kettering and King’s Lynn. But to be placed in the north was a killer and now what most of the squad wanted. I had a lot of higher offers but stayed with Hereford even though I really didn't want to travel all that way from Cardiff every other week at my age. But Hereford is in my heart, so I decided to stay.

Did the sacking of Pete Beadle have a detrimental effect on the team, and would you have liked to have played more to help the team?

It was a very sad day for myself and the players because we all loved Beads and Jenks. It didn't feel the same at the club anymore. All our squad that had been there for a long time were one-by-one getting axed and the new management wanted their own players in and Beadle’s players out -  that was plain to see. But it happens often in football; managers just want their own lads in.

What was it like to co-manage the club last season especially at a time when a lot of fans were on the club's back? What did you think of Beads being sacked?


I didn't enjoy being manager of the club; I was proud to do it, but it just wasn’t for me. I took over at a time when I felt it was very harsh on Beads and the rest of the staff. But that's football.

How did you enjoy the scouting role that you had, and would you have liked to have carried it on?

I enjoyed the scouting role and would like to have continued, but the new management team wanted all their budget in the playing side. But I'm happy really as I'm glad to be back playing again.

How much longer do you think you have got? Would you eventually like to go into management/coaching?

I’m with Westfields now and really enjoying it. There are good lads and management there and we have high hopes for the season ahead. I can see myself playing until I'm 40 then who knows.

Will you still go and watch Hereford if you can?

Yes, when I can I will watch Hereford.

How much are you looking forward to your testimonial and what is your message to the fans?

My message to the fans is that they have been unbelievable in my 10 seasons at the club and have supported me through thick and thin. Home and away even at places like Bardon Hill and Alvechurch, they have come out in numbers. We have had so many memories together - four promotions, the game at Leicester, Wembley; it's been an excellent journey that we've been on and it's a shame it's got to stop. I'm so glad that I'm still playing in Hereford still so I can get to see some amazing people that I've met through the years. I'm sure Hereford fans know how much the club means to me by how I played for the badge and gave it my all. it will be sad to say goodbye on July 24 and I will be holding back the tears.