Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Hereford United Reunion - Interviews with Jon Narbett, Ian Benbow and Peter Isaac

Players and staff from the 1988 to 1992 era reminisced over their time at Hereford during a reunion event last night.

It was organised by Matt Healey at Yates, Hereford, with former players including Jon Narbett, Stewart Phillips, Gary Stevens, Paul Wheeler, Peter Heritage, Ian Benbow, Ian McLoughlin, Paul Maddy, Kevin Rose, Richard Jones and Shane Jones. Backroom staff included John Layton, Colin Taylor and Peter Isaac.

Narbett, who now lives in Chicago, USA, said it was lovely to meet up with everyone.

"My memories change over the years because it's only when the time has passed that you reflect more on your experiences at the club. And for me, Hereford is my club," said Narbett, who played more than 100 times for Hereford and was part of the team that faced Manchester United in the FA Cup in 1990.

Jon Narbett
"I started off at Shrewsbury, then was a record signing for Hereford in 1988.

"I had four seasons here and lived in the area, and had fabulous memories.

"So seeing all the players here brings it all back."

Benbow, who scored the winning goal against Wrexham in the Welsh Cup Final at Cardiff Arms Park, said Hereford will always hold a special place in his heart. 

Ian Benbow
"Because I was local, I ended up playing with all my friends that I grew up with and they have turned up tonight, people I went to school with," he said.

Isaac, meanwhile, served under nine managers in various capacities, after joining Hereford in 1960. 

"When I joined Hereford, it was a family-run club, so once I finished playing and went on the other side, I tried to keep it that way," said Isaac.

Peter Isaac
"So all the lads came in, I tried to treat them as I was treated because Hereford United was one of the best non-league clubs going at the time and they've done brilliantly over the years.

"All these lads wanted to come to Hereford because they knew they were coming to a good club and were well looked after.

"Everything was done properly and had the best of everything."